PDA

View Full Version : 20SEH options (advice needed)

Prey
04-10-07, 12:38 PM
I have a f plate nova (currently a 1.2 carb) and a what I presume is a 20SEH engine (from an e plate astra gte - have yet to check the engine code as I havent cleaned it up yet) that I'm wanting to fit - just trying to get some input/advice on my options - as far as I know:

1) get an injection tank and pump, redo the fuel pipes on the car and fit the engine as it is

2) twin 40's - expensive, plus will need to use the car for dodging about a fair bit so not ideal there. nice for the noise tho!

3) something like r1 carbs - more refined than twin 40's (arguably from what I gather) again expensive but easier than the twin 40 route.

4) a vaux carb to fit - this is the setup that interests me tbh, what would be needed to switch it over (dizzy? fuel pump? loom?) and also what cars can the bits be cannibalised from (manta carb I have seen, but others?) finally what would I expect performance wise - would it lose power over stock injection? gain? same?

Any info on the above would be spot on - or if anyone has any better ideas?

I'll be putting some WIP pics up of it soon!

GRUNT 16V
04-10-07, 12:52 PM
if its goning to have carbs fitted leave then original tank and lines and just buy a Facet fuel pump should do the trick.

Prey
04-10-07, 12:54 PM
if its goning to have carbs fitted leave then original tank and lines and just buy a Facet fuel pump should do the trick.

Thats one of the reasons that I like the idea of going with a carb as it saves that hassle of swapping out - unfortunately this route is the one I know least about!

alan b
04-10-07, 01:09 PM
im sure the inlet manifold off a big block 1.6 old ascona engine or mk11 cav would fit on that engine, it would make putting carb on alot easier, then use some sort of weber twin choke, manta carbs are poo ! why not just ru the injection? its not that hard!!lol

craig green
04-10-07, 01:49 PM
Getting the carb bits esp down draughts off an old Vaux is more hassle than doing the wiring etc.

You dont need a GTE/GSi (mpi) tank necessarily, its easy to get hold of spi Nova tanks & just change the spi pump for an internal Cav GSi/Calibra type pump. Wiring in the SEH/SER is about 7 wires. most of them are rev counter, temp gauge etc. The ECU only needs 3 wires. I'm sure you can cope with that!

Not only is injection smoother running, but it will be almost as quick as twin 40's, but more economical too & you can run diagnostic checks if/when things dont work properly.

Tbh a clued up Nova enthusiast could get that lot in & running over a weekend at the cost of ?100 if you know where to find the parts. Add on service items for the engine though. Cambelt, oil/filter, new fuel hoses & filter etc.

Adam
04-10-07, 02:04 PM
Youd loose a lot of power by fitting/bodging on some ghey single carb.
The std 2L 8v inlet/tb looks a good design.

R1 carbs are no cheaper/easier than weber's.

SPI tank/ Mpi pump, and connecting 3 wires, and the engine will be running.

craig green
04-10-07, 02:05 PM
F15 gearbox to save weight over the big block jobbie & keep the std shafts! Nice.

big gra
04-10-07, 02:25 PM
ive just fitted a 2.0 8v from a cavalier, running on a mpi gsi pump, and with the standard injection, and its more than sufficiant!

Prey
04-10-07, 05:05 PM
Great info there - it does seem to make more sense to keep the injection at the end of the day - thanks for that!

About the gearbox - that also sounds like it could be a good idea, which models could the f15 be sourced from? I would imagine that with only running an 8v the shaft strength on the standard shafts would be fine?

Adam
04-10-07, 05:11 PM
You would need to run a small block fly and clutch to use a f15 box.

Corsa 1.6 Sports, later mk3 astras had F15's.

craig green
04-10-07, 05:30 PM
Great info there - it does seem to make more sense to keep the injection at the end of the day - thanks for that!

About the gearbox - that also sounds like it could be a good idea, which models could the f15 be sourced from? I would imagine that with only running an 8v the shaft strength on the standard shafts would be fine?

Could be an F13 from a GTE aswell. GTE shafts can be used on LETS etc so std shafts or the GTE ones will be fine with 130ish bhp. Its a similar output to a mildly tuned 1600 8v tbh. Easy!

ste porter
04-10-07, 06:21 PM
i have a set of 40s and inlet manifold for sale for a 2.0l 8v pm me if interested

Prey
05-10-07, 10:42 AM
Hmm gte box and shafts - that would certainly make it easier and cheaper...

Those twin 40s do look a good price - but its all more cash right now! this will be a nova on a budget!