PDA

View Full Version : Mods to 1.4i

jacko lah
18-06-02, 12:49 PM
Due to strange family issue (I have kids) I own a 1.4i Astra - 82 BHP.
I want to get a little more power without replacing the engine.
I realise that it would be cooler to have started with a 2.0 GSi to start with.
Anyway I want to keep it looking and sounding more or less bog std.
I make the assumption that a SRi 1.4i Nova is basically the same engine.

I was thinking of fitting the Astra 2.0 8V Exhaust manifold and system as a start (I have rust holes already).

d0gz_bollox
18-06-02, 12:56 PM
airfilter - ?70
ashley manfiold n zorst system, ?200
head work, -?250 - ?500+
good service, not much
fast road cam, ?150 - ?200+ i think
rebore - ?big money
unichip - ?big money (i think about ?400 in magazines)

Get a full zorst system n manifold and airfilter get the fueling adjusted and you should see the engine free up loads.

I wouldnt think a 2ltr zorst manfiold would fit since the 2ltr being a big block, even so cant see any real advantage to it.

jacko lah
18-06-02, 01:12 PM
Okay we have a plan : Airfilter - Might just see if I can find another larger vauxhall box to fit in Engine Bay (I want it to look as std as possible.
Manifold and Exhaust - Why Ashley ? Do they do one with a Cat (It's an M reg and I don't want to have to bribe mr Catterell (He does my Mot's and very understanding he is too))
Head - Gonna see If I can get a second hand one and do a bit with the old Dremmel (Experienced Mini 850 fettler)
Cam - Sounds worth a look. (Don't want to go silly though)
Rebore - I'd Rather find a smashed Cav SRI and swop the whole thing.

Fueling Adjusted ? Ah now am I confusigated. It is a MPI engine with oxygen sensor and a feed back loop. At mild state of tune won't it all self adjust (Or will it just self destruct) ?

d0gz_bollox
18-06-02, 03:19 PM
I like ashely. good quality, cheap and LOUD! and nope they dont do a CAT zorst. you'll have to buy a cat back system, decat pipe and manfiold for that then just swap the decat pipe over every year. cant you just tell them the engines a 92 engine (which is around when it was first made), just say you had a engine conversion.

if you have a manifold chances are it wont have a lambda sensor socket. so no oxygen sensor (bye bye cat!) so you'll need the lamdba sensor disabled.

jacko lah
18-06-02, 04:16 PM
I am going to measure the Exhaust Stud Positions on the 1.4i Astra and Compare them with the Positions on my wife's 1.8 Cavalier.
If I remember the haynes manual pictures of exhausts there was one with 4 into 2 Manifold (Cast Iron) and one like mine 4 into 1 (Cast Iron).

Anyway, just explain this bit about engine convertions not requiring Cat - Where can I see copy of the law ?

Oh and loud ? How loud ? My preference is for Quiet as I am old and frail (35 going on 50) and I don't want questions from the wife. I love her, but I haven't told her I fitted alloys to it yet (some weeks ago)

cornish
18-06-02, 04:17 PM
I've got a couple of head porting articles if you want them, whats your addy?

jacko lah
18-06-02, 04:21 PM
markja@huscointl.com

Toby
18-06-02, 06:05 PM
http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/mk2astra.htm

Have a look at that. Might give you a bit more insight in to what to expect. Might not be so relevant to your Astra (not sure what mark you got)

barnes
21-06-02, 05:52 AM
the exhaust wont line up at all

jacko lah
21-06-02, 08:29 AM
So I measured the 1.8 and the 1.4 and there is 3cm difference approx on width of manifold : So who knows ? Did GM ever do a manifold 4 into 2 which will fit 1.4 mpi head ie 1.3 nova 1.6 astra ?

Ste_Nova
21-06-02, 09:33 AM
the nova sri has a 4-2 manifold and a 2-1 downpipe

you would be better dropping a bigger engine in

jacko lah
21-06-02, 09:50 AM
I'd have been better off starting with a GSI or GTE 16V and keeping it standard.
Anyone want to swap : Insurance group 8 !
This is the dillema : I have a nice (nice ugh!) car with a good service history, and If I sold it I'd have to walk 35 miles to work each way.
Then I'd have to go out looking for something to replace it and boy am I very fussy. And instead of being at home with my wife and kids I'd be somewhere else deciding not to buy a car because I have a bad feeling.
And then I'd buy a car and something minor would go wroong and I'd have her indoors telling me I should have stuck to the 1.4 astra blah blah bloody blah.
This way- Oh I need a new exhaust - (I really do) Oh I need new disks (I really do) Oh I just picked up this second hand head and i'm just going to refurbish it and fit it (How long will that take blah blah bloody blah.)

Anonymous
21-06-02, 11:15 AM
you are going to spend a fortune on your car to make it even moderately quick, ie 120bhp ish, and you wont mange that without it sounding modifed, it really is a total wate of time when for a couple of hundred quid you could drop a 1.8 8v or something in there.
A modifed 1.4 is going to give worse economy and also be flat off cam too.

Chip

jacko lah
21-06-02, 11:23 AM
I agree with Chippy : That Jacko lah he sucks.

In order to get executive permission to do engine swap I need to blow up the one I have.

Maybe I'll do nothing and just drive like a kn*b. Oh I already do!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

Anonymous
21-06-02, 11:33 AM
LOL @ executive permisson!
wouldnt want to risk getting your priviledges revoked!

Chip

Ste_Nova
21-06-02, 12:18 PM
LV insurance and some sand in the oil cap