PDA

View Full Version : spyware

paddy138
02-10-07, 08:09 PM
switched computer on after brother using it, keep getting all these pop ups saing that my computer is under attack from spyware and download this ets ets to remove it. done 2 norton secuirty checks and they say there is no viruses. how do i stop all these pop ups. any help at all will be appreciated:thumb:

paul james
02-10-07, 08:13 PM
Give this one a go, its what I use (as well as their normal anti-virus), seems to do the job and its free.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-spyware/us/frt/0

Jack
02-10-07, 08:14 PM
Also try Ad Aware.

paddy138
02-10-07, 08:16 PM
but im already on norton. will this affect it

Jack
02-10-07, 08:20 PM
Nope, you can happily run more than one spyware program - in fact its generally a good idea to run more than one as the definitions on one might pick up something that a different program has missed.

Norton might complain about the others, but you can ignore that.

paddy138
02-10-07, 08:24 PM
thanks i installed it there now. its doing a scan thanks. :thumb:

paul james
02-10-07, 08:25 PM
Nah it will be fine.
From what I've heard Norton isn't very good at all, I've always used the free AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware which have both worked flawlessly.

Philsutton
02-10-07, 08:33 PM
I remember getting a pop up virus thingy, the irony was though that the virus itself was advertising a product to rid the computer of virus's. After weeks of not beeing able to remove it we emailed the company that was being advertised and within the hour it suddenly left the computer. hmmmmm

paddy138
02-10-07, 08:35 PM
yeah after i paid for norton i heard it was crap. norton showed up nothing on the scan, and avg is scanning at the minute and so for 218 files infected

ade
03-10-07, 12:15 AM
use firefox browser and set it to clear your cache/privacy data when you exit.

unlike IE it stores all cache as code rather than web pages/cookies.

might help...