02-10-07, 06:04 PM
give me a second... ill sling a document i find a good read on my site

Added intercooler design notes to the site :D

Martin
02-10-07, 06:26 PM
doesnt seem to wrk on my pc stu

Stuart
02-10-07, 06:33 PM
it worked on my test monkeys pc lol.... its a word document.

Ste L
02-10-07, 06:45 PM
work's on mine..

good read that stu :thumbs:

Jack
02-10-07, 07:01 PM
Chargecooler cools the charge with liquid (WTA)
Intercooler cools the charge with air (ATA).

Chargecoolers can be more efficient than intercoolers, as liquid works better at cooling the charge than air does.

Just read Stu's link. ST205 "supercar", I like it :D The GT4 went from a WTA (165) to an ATA (185) then back to a WTA (185RC and 205), mainly as the ATA design wasn't as good as the WTA one. Rumour has it they went to ATA because the marketing boys wanted a scoop rather than a vent :roll:

Stuart
02-10-07, 07:37 PM
also accountants design cars thesedays and an ATA cooler is far far far far far cheaper to put in (and less parts to warranty)

Rick Draper
02-10-07, 08:07 PM
Charge coolers can be good when done right, its just very few places do them right.

Intercooler is better for road and track use IMHO, less things to go wrong and it does not suffer as bad with heat soak.

Adam
02-10-07, 08:07 PM
it worked on my test monkeys pc lol..
:)

london_chris
02-10-07, 09:13 PM
chargecooler = more weight!

Stuart
02-10-07, 09:40 PM
I'd personally take the weight "penalty" in favour of a CC

Jack
02-10-07, 09:52 PM
Intercooler would suffer more from heatsoak than a chargecooler surely? Especially when the car isn't moving...

Rick Draper
02-10-07, 10:39 PM
Intercooler would suffer more from heatsoak than a chargecooler surely? Especially when the car isn't moving...

Correct but chargecoolers are only any good when the water is very cold, ie ice+water in the header tank, trash up the strip, empty warmed water and refill with ice+water. This is fine for using on the strip but pap on the track and spirited road driving.

Norris ran a chargecooler on his evo, the FMIC was quickly refitted.

Also you have the possible problems of broken water pumps, air locks etc. All of which could happen without you even noticing if you do not have the right gauges/know what to watch out for.

Stuart
02-10-07, 11:01 PM
on short runs (like a 1/4) a CC is little to no use as the water cant get round fast enough. For longer stints (like a high speed thrash down the motorway for example) then a CC (with good area...) will be absolutely perfect as the water will be V cool and the massive effective volume without the "lag" would be worth it.

Its kinda like the air cooled engine argument lol. Yeah air cooled works but Water cooling is far more sucessful in the longer term.

Rick Draper
02-10-07, 11:09 PM
Once the water is warm though it will take longer to cool. Better off with a decent FMIC.

Stuart
02-10-07, 11:13 PM
thats the thing... the water shouldnt get "warm" (where the rad is hot too) if the system is specced correctly.

its like your engine overheating and trying to say air cooled would be better, when you just need a bigger rad...

Martin
03-10-07, 04:38 PM
Well ive got a big mouth bumper so theres a big enough hole for plenty of cooling.. i'm just wondering as a mates selling a CC and has used it on a phase3.5 LET and said it was fine, but that cav was slower then a phase2 cav?