PDA

View Full Version : my brakes are fcuked, any ideas?

novaSRi
18-06-02, 11:27 AM
On my dash of most motors, before you start the car the lights come on saying you have the hadnbrake on by the (p) sign, and next to it you have a sign, (!). i think this for the brakes. But when i was driving this light switched on and im not sure what it is for. Ive checked my brake fluid and thats fine. What could it be. Is it telling me that my brake pads are low. There is no probs wiv my braking, e.g no grinding, no noises.

help,
cheers.

d0gz_bollox
18-06-02, 11:44 AM
funny enough I get that in my SRi, and several other people have got it in there novas. I get mine when im breaking really really hard (on the verge of locking up). i have got AStra Gte brakes. as long as your break fluid is okay and your pads and discs are fine id ignore it. if however you do feel a loss in braking capabiltys get it checked at a garage. an MOT place will have a brake tester thing and should be able to do it there.

Toby
18-06-02, 06:23 PM
My old 1.3 SR did the same thing aftera while. I think it had something to do with the sensor that detects when the handbrake is applied. Hard braking seemed to trigger it. Dont worry about it, having said that - you might want to worry when you find yourself going backwards thru a hedge at high speed!

ade
18-06-02, 10:43 PM
the (p) is the parking indicator which tells you the handbrake is on. The (!) is a warning sign usually linked to the sensor in your brake fluid reservoir - check wiring in/on around the sensor - possibly faulty.

Ade

Anonymous
21-06-02, 11:41 AM
it happens a lot on valver brakes, normally only if the fluid is a bit low though, can only asusme its cause the larger piston needs more fluid to displace it that it happens more with valver brakes.

Chip