PDA

View Full Version : wiring a 1.6gte

chimp007_uk
30-09-07, 10:23 PM
this has probably been asked a few times now... but i did do a search and still found nothing conclusive!

how does one go about wiring a 1.6gte into a 1.2i...

i know the 1.2i loom is intergrated, just wondered what the best way to attack it was?!?

any advice appreciated!

cheers
chris

Ste L
30-09-07, 10:24 PM
change to a carb'd or gte car loom would be easiest lol

Ernie
30-09-07, 11:29 PM
As said above.

Adam
30-09-07, 11:45 PM
The best way to attack it is leave the spi loom in place.
I have done in mine.

I just removed the plugs, melted heat shrink over the end of the wires, then wrapped them together. Its barely noticeable.

Then use the spi ecu wires to wire the gte ecu to, as the perm live, ign 12v etc is already there for you.

Iain
01-10-07, 02:06 AM
I used a carb car loom as S t e said and crimped the engine loom to the correct wires on that.

chimp007_uk
02-10-07, 12:24 AM
I just removed the plugs, melted heat shrink over the end of the wires, then wrapped them together. Its barely noticeable.

plugs?

i have what looks to be a complete gte loom with the new engine i bought as mine has a clifford alarm and immobiliser wired in that i dont want to butcher...

i hate wiring, and think it's a confidence thing... i believe i might struggle, i worry that i 'm going to turn the key and it catches alight...

Adam
02-10-07, 12:25 AM
The plugs to the engine sensors on the Spi engine.....

chimp007_uk
02-10-07, 12:33 AM
ah...

my bad. when i get a chance tomorrow evening, i'm going to lay out the gte loom and work out what is what and where i need to hack in.
how much of the gte loom is used/needed?

this is going to be hard work, i apologise in advance! i didn't think anyone would be awake at this time...

Adam
02-10-07, 12:40 AM
Just the engine loom which stays entirely in the bay.
You will be left with a 6/9pin connector/plug, which connects the engine loom to the car loom.
Its that plug that needs wiring to your car loom.

chimp007_uk
02-10-07, 12:45 AM
oh i see... i got really worried when i saw the whole gte loom :(

i'm going to be a constant retarded pain, how does the plug wire in? is it a case of ditching the plug and soldering the wires and heat shrinking it?

chimp007_uk
02-10-07, 12:46 AM
do the colours correspond to the colours on the spi loom?