PDA

View Full Version : laptop/broadband adivce needed.

John
30-09-07, 09:32 PM
Hi all, i'm looking to buy a new laptop, and need a few pointers. I have a budget of around 350-400 quid, as i'm a complete technophobe, i'm hoping you may be able to help me out as to whats best/value for money etc. And if any of you have used one, what are they like?
Also i need to change my broadband supplier, i'm thinking of going with orange as my mobile is up for renewal soon, is anyone using orange? ok? if not, who are people using/ who offers the best for budget?
Thought i'd ask on here, a bit random i know, but i reckon i'd probably get more honest answers, and i'll look into it a bit more
Cheers all:thumb:

mowgli
30-09-07, 09:35 PM
there is a deal floating about where you sign up for broadband & get a free laptop. If I can remember where I'll post it

Adam
30-09-07, 09:47 PM
That was pcworld/orange.

Get a router thats wireless enabled, and a laptop thats wireless too, as its a lot easier, use it anywhere in the house.

Do you have Sky tv? Im on sky broadband, and haven't had a single problem with it, up to 8mb connection speed, and free wireless router, and it only costs a fiver a month.

smcgsi16v
30-09-07, 09:51 PM
Try to avoid orange as a broadband sever they are poo, so are sky.
Iuse Virgin and they are very good.
Have a look at Watchdog on BBC there is a list of good and bad.

Lee
30-09-07, 09:52 PM
Im on Orange. Ive never had a peoblem TBH. Cant comment on the phone deal though as I live in Newbury, so its stupid to be on anything but Vodafone lol

Jack
30-09-07, 11:49 PM
What do you want to use the laptop for, and what are you going to be doing online (I mean if you intend to stream or download lots of music/movies you'll need plenty of bandwidth)?

John
01-10-07, 08:25 PM
What do you want to use the laptop for, and what are you going to be doing online (I mean if you intend to stream or download lots of music/movies you'll need plenty of bandwidth)?

Hi jack, I need a laptop, because the spare room where my pc is now needs major renovating, so could do with it being downstairs really for the foreseeable future. Only prob downstairs is no room for a workstation.

I guess if i had a good pc with lots of memory then i'd download music quite a bit more than i do now, and i'd have more space to store it with more memory.

Forgive my complete stupidity but whats streaming?/bandwidth? Please explainlol ( for those of you who don't know, i wouldn't of even known how to switch a pc on 18 months ago!)

They only had bbc computers when i was at school!

Mazz
01-10-07, 08:36 PM
Streaming is watching video clips/film straight from the t'internet and bandwidth is the amount of data being transferred between your PC and a website...someone correct me i'm wrong...

We had Orange BB and it was quite good actually, til they cut us off for exceeding the D/L limit ;)

Try here (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband) for cheap BB, when we move into our house, i think i'm going with PlusNet..

bump
01-10-07, 10:52 PM
Mazz, you are indeed correct.

G88 KAG, what your referring to is disk size over memory. Hard disks do long term storage memory (RAM) does the short term storage. It's actually a bit more complex than that but no real need for that now.

I don't use cheap services, they cause me far too many issues with my setup. But my needs aren't exactly typical user.

Jack
01-10-07, 10:57 PM
Yep.

I'm with UKO - only a 2mb line (mainly due to my crappy local exchange) but its good enough for me, and they have no bandwidth restrictions or throttling. Had 'em for around 2-3 years now, and only had one short term (couple hours) outage when one of their DNS servers went whoopsie and the secondary didn't zone transfer correctly.

As for actual laptops, I've not really kept up to speed with them recently, although Acer usually gets my vote.