PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 spi starting problem

muzzy
29-09-07, 11:44 PM
The Nova i was meant to pick up today has a couple of running problems

It first off didnt start and then when it did it ran for about 20 seconds the revs went right up and it cut out, its idling very lumpy when it does idle.
My mate started it and kept the revs up for about 30 seconds and it just died.

It's a 1992 1.2 Single Point injection

:confused:

Adam
30-09-07, 12:11 AM
Will it keep running if you hold the throttle open?

muzzy
30-09-07, 12:26 AM
No it cuts out after a while with the throttle open, its got plenty of fuel in it.

The engine was out of the car and the boy has just put it back in again, so its possibly some sort of wiring thats the problem but iv no idea what it could be

Adam
30-09-07, 12:41 AM
Check the earths on the cam housing.

Try another fuel pump relay.

Does it start straight back up after it cuts out?

muzzy
30-09-07, 12:43 AM
No it wont start again for a while once its cut out

Adam
30-09-07, 12:46 AM
Check fuel pump relay.

If thats fine, could be dizzy/dizzy plug, or ignition coil overheating.

muzzy
30-09-07, 12:48 AM
OK ill pass that onto him as he is having another look in the morning, he did say there was two small wires that he couldnt find anywhere to put and the live from the starter motor had "gone missing" and they just held a wire between the battery and the starter

Adam
30-09-07, 01:00 AM
Hmm.
Id also check things like the fuel pipes are on the right way round if the engines been out.

Altho, id doubt it would run at all if they weren't.

muzzy
30-09-07, 01:01 AM
I will let you know tomorrow evening how it all goes, ill tell him to try everything to see if it will get it running or not

Cheers very much

paul james
30-09-07, 10:34 AM
I put a kill switch on the fuel pump of my old 1.2i, so it would start becuase there would still be some fuel left in the system, but then would cut out because no fuel was being pumped - unless you flicked the switch of course. Perhaps this car has a switch on its pump too, heck it could even be the same car (although thats unlikely now)

Adam
30-09-07, 02:42 PM
If the fuel pump was immobilised, the car would run once until the fuel pressure dropped, then it would cut out and not start again until the pump came back on.