PDA

View Full Version : anyone good with gennies?

chimp007_uk
29-09-07, 04:33 PM
hi all,

just got my garage sorted, and purchased my 1.2i merit plus, getting a gte lump and box and conversion parts on sunday, and will mix and match with undamaged parts from my rr gte.

purchased a genny to power tools and lights etc, but cant get the bugger to start... its brand new, and yes it has fuel, just wont crank...

ideas???

carls nova sri
29-09-07, 05:39 PM
spark plug

coombsey
29-09-07, 06:09 PM
is the fuel tap on is the choke on and have you put the switch in the on position

chimp007_uk
29-09-07, 06:11 PM
well, i'm waiting for my dad to come home and hold the plug and see if it sparks when earthed while i turn it over, as i struggled pulling it and checking...

if there is no spark from the plug and if i use a different plug and still nothing, any ideas where i go from there?!?

hope it is ok... and its something simple, its brand new and picked it up for ?65 2300w 4stroke :)

got a 25litre compressor for ?55 as well, and a sealey 130amp welder for ?45... bargain central for a change!

chimp007_uk
29-09-07, 06:13 PM
everything on! i'm not that special

chimp007_uk
29-09-07, 08:56 PM
dads just got back... tried to find a spark and nothing... changed the plug and still nothing...

any ideaS?!?

Ste L
29-09-07, 09:00 PM
might sound stupid, but have you read the instuction's..

may help

Philsutton
29-09-07, 09:18 PM
real men dont read instructions

chimp007_uk
29-09-07, 09:30 PM
and bargains don't come wiht any :(

tried calling the technical advice line, but open mon-fri...

KITT1972
29-09-07, 09:54 PM
does it have enough oil it it. As the one a used to own wouldnt start if if didnt have enough oil in it

draper
30-09-07, 12:40 AM
real men dont read instructions

quoted for truth

try sticking it in 2nd gear and bump starting it

or hit with a hammer

when that doesnt work get a bigger hammer

if that doesnt work get a biggerer hammer

if that doesnt work the ring your mum, maybe she can bump start it for you
or maybe she has a bigger hammer

Ash
30-09-07, 01:20 AM
Rtfm!

Mike
30-09-07, 02:02 AM
hope it is ok... and its something simple, its brand new and picked it up for ?65 2300w 4stroke :)

got a 25litre compressor for ?55 as well, and a sealey 130amp welder for ?45... bargain central for a change!

FPMSL, why do you think it was that price :thumb: either that or its nicked :thumb:

My guesses are - a) its stolen and b) its running on the wrong fuel ;)

mowgli
30-09-07, 09:44 AM
Our firm has about 30 honda engined machines & I have a few years experience on them.

if it is a honda or a honda ripoff, then the only things that can go wrong are the oil level or the spark plug.

fill the oil up till it spills out of the filler hole.
there is a low level switch that stops the spark, filling the oil usually sorts this, lifting up the engine at the sparkplug end & sticking a brick under the frame can also help.

A lot of these cheap gennys suffer from hopeless build quality, make sure the carb is attached properly, & all the linkages are right.

What make is it? can you post a photo to help.

chimp007_uk
30-09-07, 10:50 AM
fill the oil up till it spills out of the filler hole.
there is a low level switch that stops the spark, filling the oil usually sorts this, lifting up the engine at the sparkplug end & sticking a brick under the frame can also help.

cheers fella!! i'm a complete novice with generators! what oil is best to use?

chimp007_uk
30-09-07, 11:44 AM
she's a runner... wacked some oil in and bob's your uncle... uber quiet! it had oil in it, just obviously not enough. thanks for all your help guys!

mowgli
30-09-07, 04:54 PM
cheers fella!! i'm a complete novice with generators! what oil is best to use?

Make sure you use 'lawnmower' oil, it is very cheap, I can't remember the grade, our local petrol station sells it & I've seen it at diy stores.

they don't like modern car engine oils, which run very thin when cold, cos it causes the spark plug to oil up.