PDA

View Full Version : change owner & engine - dvla

Courtnova16v
28-09-07, 12:32 PM
Hi. Just wondering how long does it normally take for the log book to come back from the dvla when you buy a car? seems to be taking longer than normal.

Also how do I go about registering my car from a 1.4sr mk2 to a 2l redtop with the dvla?

Thanks.

philly
28-09-07, 12:40 PM
im sure you can do it over the phone or even go into a local dvla office.

Iain
28-09-07, 12:42 PM
I thought you can only do it via post by sending the logbook to the DVLA with the new engine size and number on?

carls nova sri
28-09-07, 12:43 PM
mine took 2 weeks to come back

Stuart
28-09-07, 12:43 PM
can take upto 6 weeks or so... bear in mind this month was new car month so they may have a backlog.

Riggy
28-09-07, 01:41 PM
yeah as stu said it can take upto 6 weeks

as for changine engine size when you get the logbook back you need to fill out the changes on the green part of the logbook , so engine number and capacity really ,

the send it off again , or you could take it to your local dvla office and they will change them for you and send you a new log book out thats what i did ,

bear in mind though the car tax will then be invalid so you will have to re-tax it and send the old tax disc of for a refund :thumb:

Adam
28-09-07, 03:06 PM
When you send the new engine details off, you'll also get a letter back stating that you need a engine inspection to prove the engine cc and number.
Which YOU have to pay for ;)

They wont give you a new logbook till they have the evidence.

Riggy
28-09-07, 03:08 PM
they didnt with me , as i was goin up a tax band

maybee if you go down one though

Adam
28-09-07, 03:28 PM
I went UP a tax band too ;)

Rung dvla and they said you now have to do it whether going up or down.

Courtnova16v
28-09-07, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Had my project car about 5 weeks now. Txt the lad to see if he had sent the log book off and got no reply from him.

Do the dvla send someone to do the engine inspection? Or can a local garage do it? Also how do they document the cc and number?

Iain
28-09-07, 07:51 PM
Do the dvla send someone to do the engine inspection? Or can a local garage do it? Also how do they document the cc and number?

And more importantly how much does it cost? lol

Adam
28-09-07, 08:33 PM
No local garage round my area would do it.
Only if they fitted the engine themselves.

In the end i went to Vauxhall and had to pay an hours labour for them to get one of there mechanics to look at the engine number.
Then they printed me an invoice with the engine number,code, and cc on, and the branch manager signed it.

The only other thing is pay for a Vosa/AA vehicle inspection, which is over ?100 last time i checked.

Courtnova16v
28-09-07, 08:41 PM
Do you need any details of the old engine? I really hope not because I dont have it.

Adam
28-09-07, 08:42 PM
No?
Why would you need details of the old engine?

peester
28-09-07, 08:51 PM
I went UP a tax band too ;)

Rung dvla and they said you now have to do it whether going up or down.

understandable for you - you crossed the 1.5 litre whatever it is threshold with your last conversion..

Surely going from say 1.2 to 1.3 wont matter..?

Adam
28-09-07, 09:42 PM
understandable for you - you crossed the 1.5 litre whatever it is threshold with your last conversion..

Surely going from say 1.2 to 1.3 wont matter..?
Correct
Its only when changing tax band, if you stay in the same band theres no problems.