PDA

View Full Version : posting items??

greg1.4
27-09-07, 10:02 AM
hi, i am just wondering about posting items.. like stuff i am selling etc..

never done it before but would like to.

what do i do? just put it in a box or suitable packaging and then take it to a post office to be sent out.. with a label on the box to say where its going..

is there anyway i can find out how much postage will be without taking the item into the post office..

any info will be appreciated.

cheers,
Greg

paul james
27-09-07, 10:14 AM
use the royal mail website to check postage prices based on weight:
http://www.royalmail.com
click on the delivery services button

Don't waste money on bubble wrap, use newspaper and carrier bags :)

Jack
27-09-07, 10:51 AM
As said, RM site for cost. Bear in mind both size and weight comes into it.

Small to medium sized items I use RM and take to my local post office (staffed by some miserable old trout). Larger stuff I'll use Parcel Farce and either take to the post office, or arrange collection from me via their site.

As for packaging stuff, it depends what it is really, i.e. how breakable. I just nab old boxes and bubble wrap from work, or re-use stuff that has been sent to me. But as said old newspaper makes a good free alternative. Brown tape is also your friend, I use loads of it when I post stuff lol

First class/std parcels will probably do you for most stuff as its cheap, although more expensive or fragile stuff you'll want some form of compensation guarantee in case of loss - so think premium services such as special delivery.

NOTE royal mail offer a service online where you can buy and print your own postage labels. This is only useful on small stuff you can put in a post box - larger things still need to be weighed and checked at the post office, so it saves you NO time whatsoever, and only more hassle if you've mis-weighed items.

Some people will probably suggest better couriers other than parcel farce, but to me they've been ok and easy to use on the odd occasion I've had to send stuff with them.

draper
27-09-07, 10:57 AM
my advice would be to not bother, its to much hassle when stuff goes wrong

probably just down to my bad experiences as both buyer and seller but im not bothering with posting stuff anymore, if you wanna buy it you'll fetch it and if i wanna buy it ill come get it myself

craig green
27-09-07, 11:16 AM
Anything heavy or large, use ebay to purchase a courier.

You can get a parcel sent by DHl, 48 hr, upto 35kg (was 30) for ?7.99.

Its almost cheaper to use that service for everything.

Adam
27-09-07, 11:35 AM
I agree with Craig. Anything bigger than a shoebox in size I send with dhl. Post office is too expensive for heavyish things.
Use Parcel 2 Go. Only problem being you have to sit around all day for collection.

Ive never had anything go missing, sending or receiving, and over the years ive had hundreds of things delivered.

craig green
27-09-07, 11:40 AM
Its surprising how heavy some items can be, you wouldnt think a kilo can feel that light in a shoe box.

Sending brake calipers etc is very heavy. I've used the ebay service 3 times with no worries. I have the parcels collected from my work address as I'm often out on field calls, so our receptionist will look after it.