PDA

View Full Version : cav v6 advice

mowgli
26-09-07, 08:13 PM
In my local rag there is an L reg Cavalier v6 auto diplomat for a few pence.
It has 9 months mot & 4 months tax

Are any of the bits (including the engine) going to be any use. I don't know if the auto box would be much use but a v6auto nova would be different.....

Does anyone know what spec the engine is? ie. aircon, is it a 'soft' engine for the auto or is it a std spec?

I read on a previous thread that to v6 a nova you need to junk the v6 flywheel, fit a 4cyl one & use an f20 box. is this right?

All advice, apart from the 'It won't go round corners' comments will be much appreciated.

Mike
26-09-07, 08:18 PM
Mazz has got a Cav V6, dont know it its an auto though?

alan b
26-09-07, 08:31 PM
there the same engine but i think the loom is different a wee bit for the auto, should still be pretty simple if you have the auto box, for the sensors and what not.

Mazz
26-09-07, 08:34 PM
It is Mike, and tbh, the autobox is quite good...nice lazy driving imo! I think the Diplomat is the pre-facelift CDX (which mine is) which has heated leather, aircon etc etc
All the C25XE made the same power, 167bhp book and with the autobox theres a button behind the accelerator petal which kick's it down a gear...
...and you can convert it to manual, iirc theres a 2 wires need joining on the gearbox side, i think its the ones that stop you from starting the auto in gear..

If its that cheap then get it :)

mowgli
26-09-07, 09:05 PM
If its that cheap then get it :)

I reckon its worth a punt, its been in for 2 weeks so if I go round & bid him in the b*llocks I could have some cheap wheels. My step brother had a mk3 cav that had done enough miles to go to the moon & back & it just never went wrong
what sort of mpg do you get?(sorry for the sad mpg question, but it costs rather a lot these days)

Saloony
26-09-07, 09:26 PM
Decent cav v6 auto mine often made 36mpg+ on a run. I loved mine to bits, i added 3.0l cams to mine and the difference was brilliant. I would have the auto over the manual everyday of the week.

mowgli
26-09-07, 09:33 PM
I have to admit that since I drove lorries for about 4 years in the late nineties, I don't get enthusiastic about changing gear any more. 14 speed boxes & big hills sort of get to you after a while.