PDA

View Full Version : C20XE Conversion

db_1.2
25-09-07, 04:23 PM
Ive decided that after spending money on my latest nova that i would like to keep it, so i have decided to go the full length and XE it, but there a few issues i would like to clear up as i am on a budget, not too tight.

So here are the small probelms ive thought about:

-Front wheel camber, obviously with a heavier engine i will have even more negative camber, whats the cheapest way of sorting this?
-Shafts and hubs, i understand that you can buy correct shafts to fit from manufactors these days, but they also suply hubs, do i need to change my original hubs to accept the shafts, different amount of splines?
-Exhaust, where can i find one that will fit, not too keen on the idea of chopping one up, rather buy one that will last, also what about cats and MOT's, i understand i will need one, but do i have to use the centre section of the exhuast from the car the XE came from?
-I would also like to keep the SFI box too, whats required to keep that? Just a beet of metal bashing?!

Thats about it for now untill i can come up with something else! Other than those problems i have v6 brakes, rear disk beam, and -60mm spring and shocks, although they will be changed for coilovers at sometime.

Also is there a guide for an XE conversion, i have looked at some of the WIP's and they do help, but i thought there might of been a guide somewhere?

Dan 130
25-09-07, 04:41 PM
http://www.valvers.com/ go there you can download a guide at the bottom of the page

Paul
25-09-07, 04:42 PM
Right, there is no company that actually makes a 2.0 Nova Exhaust, your best bet is to get a company such as Powerflow etc to do you one.

You do NOT need a Cat, unless your car was registered in 1993, its done by the car age, not engine age. Most MOT testers see, its a Nova, no Cat required anyway.

The V6 brakes ar ideal, rear disc beam has varied opinions.

The camber isnt really a massive issue. The cheapest way of sorting this out, is for a 60mm drop, you must drill the top two mounting holes for the struts 7mm further out towards the wings, this will compensate for the drop. However this isnt really ideal and personally I wouldnt do it. Bu its ben done a fair few times.

The hubs and shafts you buy from Chris Astely etc are ideal also, but If you wish to do it on more of a budget, the best way is to use Cavalier MK2 Inner CV's, Nova Shafts (22 spline) and Nova Outer CV's and standard hubs, Ive been running these for approx 2 years now and never snapped a CV/shaft.

The hubs and shafts (chris astley etc. ones) are approx ?250ish I think, whereas the Nova setup ones, you can get for about ?120.

Mountwise, go to Chris Astley etc... Theyre about ?50 for the set.

To keep the SFI box, you just have to bend back the firewall on the bulkhead a bit.

The best guide there is, is at www.valvers.com (http://www.valvers.com)

hope thats helps

Paul

db_1.2
25-09-07, 05:36 PM
Cheers paul thats great help:thumb:

So my K-reg is ok for no cat?

Paul
25-09-07, 05:41 PM
It should be, usually MOT testers see it's a Nova and dont bother with it.

Although if you say the engines from a pre 1990 car then they will more than likely definitely not be too bothered about it.

db_1.2
25-09-07, 05:45 PM
Hmmm, now im not too sure! Ill try and get an early XE fron an astra GTE then, just to make sure, but surely it will fail on emisions with no cat

philly
25-09-07, 05:55 PM
also not mentioned as you have v6 brakes you will need spiggot rings to make them fit. :D

Ste L
25-09-07, 06:00 PM
Right, there is no company that actually makes a 2.0 Nova Exhaust, your best bet is to get a company such as Powerflow etc to do you one.

there is, well sort of :p

ashley do a 4 brancher for a c20xe nova conversion, which bolt's up to a nova ashley system :thumb:

Jack
25-09-07, 06:05 PM
Quite often see XE fitment exhausts come up in the for sale forum too.

Emissions goes on whichever is the oldest of the car or engine, although its harder to prove the age of the engine than it is the car. 1993 car with 1991 engine = old emissions test, 1991 car with 1996 engine = new emissions test. You might be lucky and get it through the new test without a cat.

Paul
25-09-07, 07:29 PM
there is, well sort of :p

ashley do a 4 brancher for a c20xe nova conversion, which bolt's up to a nova ashley system :thumb:

I got told :(

Ashley are poo anyway :p

Ste L
25-09-07, 07:39 PM
I got told :(

Ashley are poo anyway :p

never said that was good lol

ben lee
25-09-07, 07:39 PM
for the mot if the car has a diffrent engine not fitted as standerd to that modle then its whats older the engine or car up untill 1st august 1995 then you need to pass a cat emission test.
so any nova with an 20xe wont need a cat test.
and you need to prove the age of the engine best way is with the v5 of the donner car.

if anyones local to wiltshire let me mot your car lol.

db_1.2
25-09-07, 07:44 PM
for the mot if the car has a diffrent engine not fitted as standerd to that modle then its whats older the engine or car up untill 1st august 1995 then you need to pass a cat emission test.
and you need to prove the age of the engine best way is with the v5 of the donner car.

Im local to Wiltshire, Westbury infact (repin 01373 init mush!)lol so you can MOT my car in feb:thumb:

Jack
25-09-07, 07:52 PM
Are you "friendly" when it comes to MOTs then? Might have to get me that decat and bring my Celica up there when its due lol

ben lee
25-09-07, 08:04 PM
yeap im very laid back on mots lol most cars pass lol.
im in trowbridge so only up the road.

and also fitting a 20xe into a nova soon lol.

Paul
25-09-07, 08:11 PM
lol the whole of PNG will soon have the initials B.LEE on there MOT certificates and also the MOT done in Wiltshire!

ben lee
25-09-07, 08:22 PM
lol will also do them at trade price.

Rich
25-09-07, 08:31 PM
Hi i work for VOSA whats the adress of your garage again? lol

Adam
25-09-07, 08:56 PM

What about a 93 nova with a 98 engine?

ben lee
26-09-07, 07:12 PM
if its an engine thats not normaly an engine in the nova e.g a c20let or xe then its a non cat test but if 1.4 8v ur replaceing it with the same engine code or one that is organaly fitted to the nova range then its a cat test if its listed in the 13 edition emission book think theres only 2 nova engines that require a cat test will have to find out.

Adam
26-09-07, 07:16 PM
Cool, i have a corsa/tigra engine, and no cat fitted.
Should be fine then :)

ben lee
26-09-07, 07:23 PM
yeap.

Aamir
27-09-07, 01:22 PM
The Magnex exhaust system for a 1.6 GTE/GSi has 2" pipework & very good quality.

(Standard 2.0 valver exhaust is 2")

Stainless Steel too, so will out last the car lol

Dan 130
27-09-07, 01:36 PM
^^^^ where the feck did that come from ???????? lol

Jack
27-09-07, 02:46 PM
lmfao, I think that was one of the original questions. This thread has wandered a little bit off topic lol

db_1.2
27-09-07, 05:33 PM
also not mentioned as you have v6 brakes you will need spiggot rings to make them fit. :D

Whats this about spiggot rings? I already got the brakes on my car now, if i change hubs and shafts to XE set-up will i need to change the spiggot rings?

db_1.2
27-09-07, 09:34 PM

I got something for you to do Lol, i got pulled, gotta put lights on the number plate and i need an MOT stamper to stamp it, obvioulsy ill put lights on it im not asking for anything dogdey! Lol, will it cost me anything?:(

db_1.2
30-09-07, 07:33 PM
I just read the valvers guide, and it doesnt say to weld up the engine bay, is this not needed in some cases then? As i thought it would of been?

db_1.2
01-10-07, 09:30 AM
Hello?

Ste L
01-10-07, 10:46 AM
weld it up anyway, extra strengh always help's

Adam
01-10-07, 12:08 PM
Its not needed but its HIGHLY recommended, especially if your shell isn't in the best condition.

As for the mot, just go a mot station and ask them

db_1.2
01-10-07, 04:17 PM
Yeh i was planning on welding anyway but im not too sure where, i think the inner arch's, strut tops and around the mounts should be sufficiant?

Paul
02-10-07, 12:23 PM
every seam you can see stitch that, in the arches, in the bay, under the front of the car, everything around the front wheels basically.

If youre doing it, do it properly.

Paul