PDA

View Full Version : wheels/ arches

jamesbes
30-05-02, 03:44 PM
ive just fitted 15" wheels with tyres 195/50/r15. now they just catch on the arce when i set off or corner but not much. how can i stop this please help.

blondie
30-05-02, 04:10 PM
get them cut off or rolled. advice for this is in the wheels and lowering section on this site. The offset of your wheels may be wrong, you7 must have 45 - 49mm offset wheels really for them not to catch.

sepatown my daimeys!!

jamesbes
30-05-02, 04:22 PM
how should i cut the arces?

bigils
30-05-02, 05:23 PM
a lot of places that do lowering will do arch rolling, and cuttin should really be dun by a panel beater. In either way b careful as cuttin or rollin can crack the arch very easily and rust will set in quickly

jamesbes
30-05-02, 09:32 PM
how much for rollin or cuttin?

neiloakley
30-05-02, 11:17 PM
just get a bottle of rust stopper and an angle grinder and grind the fuck out of the inner lip. When there is no longer an inner lip then stop grinding and paint on the rust stopper. Did mine like that and never had any problems. Only take 5 minutes a side.

Performance Car Audio - http://customize.9f.com

jamesbes
31-05-02, 01:35 AM
can some one emil me or slowler tell me how to grind my arces plese needs to be done 2day friday asap......

ade
31-05-02, 02:17 PM
get a grinder, rust retarding paint. jack up car, support on axle stands. remove wheel (gives better access. Look inside your arch and you will see that the metal bends in bout 1/4" to create a lip. U can run yer finger around if. Look at your tyre and see how much it is catching on and where (look for burn marks on wheel and relate these to arch lip). The take grinder and very carefulls grind the lip back until it is past thie point where it catches. Smooth with sand paper so it is not sharp (smooth it down). Put wheel on, lower it take it for a spin to see if it still catches. If so follow above steps. If not, paint on rust protector, wait to dry, paint on more, wait to dry, mask and seal using some kind of sealer (waxoyl etc) around the lip. This will dry tacky but provide a good water proofing. If you find you wheels are catching loads, sticking out miles u probably have wrong offset - will need to arches widened - go to body shop for that. Hope this helps.
TAKE YOUR TIME. ;)
Ade

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

eddiecorke2
08-02-06, 02:00 PM
If you dont have a grinder to cut them with, and no money to get them rolled what els can you do it with?? I have put 15" on my nova and they rub like f**K! Even with just me in the car

Iain
08-02-06, 02:12 PM
You could try heating up the arch and smacking the lip up & in with a hammer. Probably end up massacring the arch and making it look crap though.

eddiecorke2
09-02-06, 08:15 AM
i tried this last night and it worked, but only went in so far. They still rub a bit but no where near as bad! Thanks. :thumb: