PDA

View Full Version : Car Wont Start...

marsh_man
24-09-07, 08:00 PM
Hello All,

Basically we was trying to fit my digi-dash, we cut all the wiring for the dash and bullet connected it all... we followed wiring diagrams to connect the digi-dash, tried to power it and nothing.

Then noticed my car wouldnt start. So we rewired the old dash and put that back in, the lights on the dash are working besides the "indicator lights", yet they work on the exterior... My car still wouldnt start.

I have also noticed the CD Player has reset all its settings (FM Stations, Sub/Amp settings, etc).

The car will only start by bump-starting... any ideas?

Regards,
Shane

N0V4_K1N9
24-09-07, 08:27 PM
u aint connected all wires and if u have... u aint connected them proply check all the connections

Jack
24-09-07, 08:36 PM
Are all the fuses ok?

marsh_man
24-09-07, 08:56 PM
hmm where we cut all the wires, ive put all color coded back together... eg... blue to blue, blue and green to blue and green.

the fuses dont look frazzled.

the car isnt even getting a click from the starter motor.
i'll recheck connections

if not, where could i take my car to get this checked?

Jack
24-09-07, 09:06 PM
Just a thought, but its possible the battery might have copped out.

Clean 2.0 nova
24-09-07, 09:47 PM
You should'nt have touched the starter motor feed at all.
Was / is there an immobiliser that you may have disturbed?
Or accidentally chopped through the starter feed wire?
Or just have a bad engine earth?
Or Knocked the ignition switch / connector off the back of the starter switch if youv'e tugged any wires.

marsh_man
24-09-07, 10:05 PM
No Alarm or Immobiliser
Possibbly chopped through starter feed wire ... where can I find this?
Yes we have tugged wires... thats a possibility.
RJ, the battery is only 2months old ... would this still happen?
Thanks for all your help in getting this sorted.
I will try a few of these things tomorrow.
In the meantime, keep suggestions coming...

Lee
24-09-07, 10:31 PM
Starter feed is black with a red trace, shouldnt be anywhere near the dash though ??? More likely youve chopped its earth from the barrel.

Timmy
24-09-07, 11:15 PM
i should really own up about this thread i try to help shane fit this digi dash and once i finished fitting it all up nothing worked. i didn't pull or cut another wire apart from the dash plug wires. the digi dash idin't light up or anything.
i was thinking a short could have knocked out a relay or maybe hazerd switch.
Shane if you need replacements ill sort them out the blue nova.
Sorry

Jack
25-09-07, 08:57 AM
RJ, the battery is only 2months old ... would this still happen?
Possible, if the alternator wasn't supplying a recharge, but unlikely if the battery is only 2 months old.

As said, sounds more like some sort or earthing or shorted connection problem.

marsh_man
25-09-07, 09:31 AM
Ok if I was to take it into a garage for them to diagnose, how much would you say would be a good price if they was to charge me... ?

marsh_man
25-09-07, 09:33 AM
Shane if you need replacements ill sort them out the blue nova.
Sorry
Thanks mate. I just want the independancy back :(... Having to have someone in my car everytime I go out incase I stall, for them to bump start is becoming a nightmare...

Im thinking of taking it to a garage to have it checked over? But I aint got a clue on where to take it.

Timmy
25-09-07, 06:25 PM
court woods talk to tommyc ,

Clean 2.0 nova
25-09-07, 07:15 PM
Lets get down to basics here, to get the starter to run you need three wires:
1. Ground - battery earth braided wire to chassis, and chassis braided wire to engine/ gearbox (look inside pass. side wheel arch I think).
2. Positive supply - big red wire from battery to starter.
3. Starter feed supply - Red wire from battery to ignition switch, then black / red from ignition switch to starter motor.

It should be noted that none of this lot is fused, start by checking the following:
1. Visual check of the two earth's and 12V supply to alternator.
2. If nothing found get out your voltmeter. Get a friend to turn the ignition to 'crank' and measure the voltage on the battery, if good (above 11ish volts) go to next step
3. Measure voltage between battery +ve and engine whilst cranking, if good proceed
4. Get under car and measure voltage between +ve to starter (big red cable) and engine block, if good proceed
5. Under car again measure voltage between starter feed (black / red) and engine block.
This will give a better idea of where the fault lies. If it is a cut wire / similar when fitting dash it is the last stage it will fail on. If this is the case proceed as follows:
1. Measure voltage feed to ignition switch whilst cranking (2.5mm red wire) with respect to earth, if O.K continue
2. Measure voltage coming out of ignition switch whilst cranking (black / red 2.5mm wire) with respect to earth, if this is o.k then it confirms you have cut the black / red wire somewhere.

I know this is a bit of a noddy guide but it will check your wiring. Please note measurements should be taken while cranking as this will show up any poor connections such as bad earth's.

Iain

marsh_man
28-09-07, 01:28 PM
Hello i would like to thank everyone for their help.
I took it in for repairs. It turns out there was a dodgy Earth within the dash.
The sparkies had this fixed and ready to go within in a couple of hours.
?30, cant say no at that price :)

Thanks All.
Another Nova Saved :D

carls nova sri
28-09-07, 01:36 PM
bet your chuffed now

marsh_man
28-09-07, 02:07 PM
Yeah I can be independant again , without having to be bump started everywhere lol.

And I was expecting it to cost abit more...

Timmy
28-09-07, 04:31 PM
just need someone to fit your dash now lol

marsh_man
01-10-07, 09:34 AM
yeah i know... someone who knows what they're doing ;)
lol jk tim...

Timmy
01-10-07, 07:36 PM
rmemeber you o my money for indecatersd