PDA

View Full Version : engine

scotte
30-05-02, 03:02 PM
i not sure what engine to get want a 1.6 turbo but 2 expensive gunna think of doing a 2 litre but cant affrd it for a few months so in the mean time i was thinking of adding a four branch manifold to my gsi (e16se engine),boost valve and a cam to go with the k and n induction kit and full mongoose system i already got. any1 got any ideas of power all this would give me??am i going to feel a noticable improvement??

?Marty?
30-05-02, 03:32 PM
With a lot of modifications (probably for the cost of a decent 2 litre transplant) you can get 146BHP + out of the one you've got. Sure it won't impress your mates when you lift the bonnet, like a big valver would, but you'll have the power of the 2 litre, without all the weight/handling problems.

Get your 1.6 bored out to a 1.8, gas-flowed/ported, bigger valves and etc, fit a throttle-body conversion (not cheap) and etc.

Dicko
30-05-02, 10:30 PM
i agree, if u can pic up a set of carbs cheap then yes id do itm but spending ?300+ on engine now really aint worth it!!

barnes
21-06-02, 05:59 AM
how on earth can a 1600 be bored out to an 1800???????

it just dont happen, it goes roughly to a 1650 safely any more and if it needs a rebore it will need a new block

if ur gonna put a 2litre in why waste money on the 1600???

as for a 1600 being as quick as a 2liter 16v, ive had this argument on rb and basically for the money it costs to make the 1600 as fast you could have thrown a 16v in and done some work to it. personally i wouldnt waste any time or money on any other engine

Anonymous
21-06-02, 11:40 AM
you can stroke it up to near to over 1700cc if you bore it to 1650 and then spend about two grand on a billet crank and new rods, totalyl pointless though.
course even if you did, youd still hit the breathign limit of the head.

cheapeast way to get a decent flowing head in a nova is to fit a 2.0 16v XE lump.

pound for pound its the best performance mod, they are ultra reliable, and economical as well.

Not worth consdiering anything else unless there is some specific reson for a smaller engine, like a racing class or for concours or something.

Chip

barnes
23-06-02, 01:42 AM
i agree with chip coz hes my hero

?Marty?
24-06-02, 12:05 AM
Yea, the 1.6 to 1.8 thing was a bit of a crap suggestion. You can bore a 2 litre out into a 2.2, so i just added the 0.2 on without considering if it's possible or not.

barnes
24-06-02, 11:45 PM
you have to bore and stroke a 2litre to get it to a 2.2 not just bore it. it goes to a little over 2100cc, and i mean a little. the only problem there is if u scored one of the bores, need a new bottom end so its pointless.

only bore the bottom end out if fitting forged pistons, otherwise it a waste of time and money, infact tuning a 1600 is a waste of money if ur gonna put a 2litre in in the end