PDA

View Full Version : anyone in the army?

BIGS
24-09-07, 04:26 PM
Is anyone on here in the army. If so do you enjoy it, what is it like when you join up. im getting feed up with my job and fancy this, so if anyone got any comments about it be much apprciated :thumb:

bosscav
24-09-07, 04:29 PM
go for it mate, i wish I did when I could, but too old now :(

BIGS
24-09-07, 04:32 PM
Yea i want to. but just need more info from people that is in there already, as ill be leaving a job that has more money and dont want to make a wrong decision. but if it is a good job and people enjoy it im willin to loss the money

Stoo
24-09-07, 05:07 PM
im in the RAF, has its perks, has its **** points too.

If its something you wanna do then go for it. It sounds to me like your not too sure

BIGS
24-09-07, 05:13 PM
Ah so is the raf easy to get into. ive heard its alot harder then the army/navy. And yea i dont really know. I want to go in as a fireman and do that. but need to know more info as ive heard about people payin silly money to come out in three years. and when im in a job the payes 160 a day its not the most easy decission if you can get where im coming from

Stoo
24-09-07, 05:20 PM
its harder as the RAF is more technical than the Army, your not so much a Grunt but an Engineer.,

If your job pays 160 a day, no brainer to me, stick with it.

Yeah in the forces you get free medical, free dental, subsidised living costs, travel etc, but the good times arent all that tbh.

The days of buying yourself out are gone as far as i know, if you want out, you can get out, but its not a case of handing your notice in and working a weeks notice. Theres ways and means

oh and fireman suck donkey dikk

BIGS
24-09-07, 05:23 PM
whats wrong with a fireman then. well like i said im just seeing at the mo what it would be like, If it would be better then my job at the mo then im willin to have less money. as money isnt everything

Stoo
24-09-07, 05:27 PM
money isnt everything youre right, living costs are as follows

if your married you would get a married quarter, basically a house, and youd pay a reduced rate rent on it, like ?100-200 a month, so thats a bonus

or if your single, you'd live in a barrack block, and eat in the mess(canteen) and that usually only costs about ?150 per month(food and accom)

so its not too bad. and it frees up your meager ish wages for other uses.

It depends on what your looking for in a job, as to wether it'd be better than your current one.

Fireman ponce about playing volleyball til something happens, bunch of fags, lower pay band too. if you wanna be a fireman do it in civvy street, less bullsh1t

Jack
24-09-07, 05:28 PM
I was always told the RAF was the easiest as you don't get square bashed so much as you do in the Army and Navy :D

?160 a day works out around ?41k a year. I'd stick with that tbh lol

Not sure about army rates of pay but Navy isn't bad on salary, but what you have to remember is that per hour the pay is quite comparable to civvy street. Technically you're paid 24/7 to be in the forces, where as civilians get their 9-5 or whatever and can do whatever the fcuk they like with the rest of their time lol

Stoo
24-09-07, 05:34 PM
True you dont get beasted as much as the Army, or bummed as much as you do in the Navy, in The RAF, but i know what id rather be in ta!

BIGS
24-09-07, 05:37 PM
Yes your right i would prefure to do it civvy street. but one problem ive been tryig for 3 years to get in and it just no chance. thats why im thinking about the forces now. And yea it is about 40k - 50k a year i can make which is nice and do need that to pay for the 4x4 im doing. but once thats out the way i will have nothing to spend my money on anyway. well if the firefags are like that then, i might see what else there is

Nick
24-09-07, 05:44 PM
Can i ask what job your currently doing to be on 40-50k a year ?

Jack
24-09-07, 05:48 PM
?40-50k a year, and you want a new job as you've got nothing to spend your money on?

Can I be you please? lol

BIGS
24-09-07, 05:53 PM
Im a hairdresser. ok lets here the jokes then lol

Dan 130
24-09-07, 05:59 PM
if you earn that money i am certanly not gonna take the piss lol

NovaLad
24-09-07, 06:01 PM
Lol i think i need to change my career aswell.

Jack
24-09-07, 06:06 PM
Im a hairdresser. ok lets here the jokes then lol
Should you not be spending your money on a Celica G7, MR2, MX5, Audi TT etc instead of a Nova then? lol :p

Stuart
24-09-07, 06:09 PM
I think i need to change career to match my car!

BIGS
24-09-07, 06:11 PM
What you on about RJ i want a ford ka lol

NovaLad
24-09-07, 06:12 PM
hahahaahahahahahahahahahahhhahaaahhaaaa

wilson_sri
24-09-07, 07:07 PM
I was in the army mate, served 3 years in The Black Watch but was then medically discharged after a wee incident

And got to say...It was the best time of my life! I know it sounds cliche, like in the ads but you get money, travel and friends are the best friends you will ever make! In my 3 years i went to Northern ireland, france, iraq, canada, germany and also went to every state in America with a tour with the pipes and drums (i was a piper).

One thing you have to think about though is, how much do you like home? Remember your going to be away most the time, 1 tour of Iraq is 6 months on its own!

What are you looking to do? Trade or infantry? And il try and help with you options as best as i can!

mowgli
24-09-07, 08:16 PM
Lol i think i need to change my career aswell.

Then how would everyone get their evening papers?

LONG~BAR
24-09-07, 08:17 PM
I'm RAF.

Stoo
24-09-07, 09:07 PM
I'm RAF.

where at?? Trade??

Jack
24-09-07, 09:10 PM
And got to say...It was the best time of my life! I know it sounds cliche, like in the ads but you get money, travel and friends are the best friends you will ever make! In my 3 years i went to Northern ireland, france, iraq, canada, germany and also went to every state in America with a tour with the pipes and drums (i was a piper).
Being civvy in the MOD I get all that, but without the danger of being shot at (supposedly) lol

Plus when you go places you quite often get put up in plush hotels... the Navy chief loved it when I came to Oman with him, as having a civvy in tow meant he got to stay in a top dog 5 star hotel instead of staying at the base in Seeb :D

draper
24-09-07, 09:16 PM
my mates in the RAF, hes 20 and has been all over the world - some of the stories hes got are amazing, he does bugger alll when he's on his ship aswell as hes still in training to be a signaller/sonar reader bloke type thing, i think

Stoo
24-09-07, 09:19 PM
that'll be the navy then draper!

EDIT , Jack, Seeb rocks!

draper
24-09-07, 09:29 PM
lol so it would

you all work for the queen so its the same

Stoo
24-09-07, 09:34 PM
so its the same

DONT YOU EVER EVER SAY THAT AGAIN!

Lee
24-09-07, 09:44 PM
I was in the army mate, served 3 years in The Black Watch but was then medically discharged after a wee incident

Im shocked no ones picked up on that comment yet? :wtf:

Mr Travis, your comments that theres no bumming in the RAF dont fool us. Ive seen you walk! All you need is a set of spurs and you'd be john wayne!

If you earn 40k a year mincing around with scissors and a bottle of bleach, id definately stick to that IMO. I considered the army at one point in the past, but when it comes down to it im pretty sure I wouldnt have the courage when it came to the crunch, hence my respect for anyone in the forces (except stu who just shoots people from a chinook lol)

wilson_sri
24-09-07, 11:31 PM
What you mean?

Jack
25-09-07, 08:52 AM
EDIT , Jack, Seeb rocks!
Have you been to the Safari Bar in Muscat? At the Grand Hyatt?

BigStan
26-09-07, 04:42 PM
DONT YOU EVER EVER SAY THAT AGAIN!

I did hear recently about the hate between the Army, Navy and RAF, whats all the fuss about ?

I think its silly lollol

wilson_sri
26-09-07, 05:28 PM
The navys for gays and the RAF is for woman..

Can of worms :lol:

Stoo
26-09-07, 06:45 PM
Big can of worms, navys gay and the armys thick as fukk

at least we agree on the navy though

LONG~BAR
26-09-07, 07:09 PM
where at?? Trade??
St Athan and I'm a Gen Tech Mech

Stoo
26-09-07, 07:12 PM
still training??

lynchy
26-09-07, 07:17 PM
whats wrong with a fireman then. well like i said im just seeing at the mo what it would be like, If it would be better then my job at the mo then im willin to have less money. as money isnt everything my older bro was in the raf for 3 years as a fireman based at brize norton in oxford.... he loved it and personally i think he had it far easier than his civi firmean job now, the only downside is that he had to go to iraq over xmas :roll: go 4 it !! :thumb:

lynchy
26-09-07, 07:17 PM
The navys for gays and the RAF is for woman..

Can of worms :lol: what do you do for a livng then ? :wtf:

LONG~BAR
26-09-07, 07:19 PM
still training??
yes. joined Jan17th and went to RAF Halton for my basic and came to St Athan 5 1/2 months ago. got another year until I finish my trade training.

Stoo
26-09-07, 07:19 PM
what do you do for a livng then ? :wtf:

He used to be in the army, read the whole thread first

wilson_sri
26-09-07, 07:20 PM
Im a car valeter, but iv just came out the black watch after a tour went horribly wrong.

wilson_sri
26-09-07, 07:21 PM
Big can of worms, navys gay and the armys thick as fukk

at least we agree on the navy though
We agree on the army to lol

LONG~BAR
26-09-07, 07:21 PM
Im a car valeter, but iv just came out the black watch after a tour went horribly wrong.
oh. and the RAF is for those who want a trade and don't wanna die in a fire fight. but full respect to you for doing what you did.:thumb:

Stoo
26-09-07, 07:23 PM
the RAF is **** mate! Ive been all over the world in 3 different war zones, multiple times on the front line! its not just for fags that wanna fix generators!!! Sure during training you may think its rock all, but once out in the big blue world its a load of cock!

wilson_sri
26-09-07, 07:24 PM
Plenty of trades in the army to, it isnt all just nutters running about with guns.

Chris
29-09-07, 06:09 PM
oh. and the RAF is for those who want a trade and don't wanna die in a fire fight.

Don't be so sure matey. Do they not let you have TV's down there? If so you really need to watch the news, if not then try and find a recent RAF News to read.

Stu,

Your a homo! It is only a load of cock if it isn't what you want. If you don't like it then why are you still in? Oh, because it pays well and is practical. I don't think its the best job in the world, but not taking into consider the x-factor money, I couldn't find another job which pays this well for the workload.