PDA

View Full Version : xe suspension headache

alan b
24-09-07, 01:48 PM
hey lads my novas gearlinkage disintergerated yesterday so ive decided that im putting in the engine next weekdend hopefully, anyway im having a very hard time getting the right suspension, ive got onto coilsprings but they dont like having to post to ireland and said it will be nearly 7 weeks before ill have them plus they want 130 pound inlcding postage. so ive seen koni adjustable kit for 320 pound, the problem is there only 25mm lower? surely thats tractor height!? im going to try a new pair of koni astra gte springs i have first. im going to cut them down and see if they work, but if not will the koni nova springs do the job? any other advice would be great, i have a max of 350 pound. cheers.

Stanley
24-09-07, 01:53 PM
Im sure Courtenay do 2.0 conversion springs?

Stuart
24-09-07, 01:55 PM
please dont cut the springs, unless you enjoy death?

its worth a note that the "XE's handle badly" comments are from people who put cheapy nasty suspension on. Try to find a set of big billy yellows 2nd hand and get the courtenay xe springs (ewww i recomended courtenay.... im off to hang myself)

alan b
24-09-07, 02:59 PM
ya but arent the courtney springs a tad high? and i thaught cutting the springs is only dangerous when using standard long rod dampers?

philly
24-09-07, 03:04 PM
no cutting springs is dangerous no matter what you use really. and im almost 90% sure but its a MOT failure too if they spot it.

Stuart
24-09-07, 03:06 PM
buy cheap crappy coilovers if you want to slam the funker.

do you want it to handle or look "gimp" ?

alan b
24-09-07, 03:17 PM
its a road car i dont need coilovers as i wont be tracking it but i want it to handle as good as it does now. think the koni kit and the courtaney springs will be a good bet? 25mm will it not look sh1t?

craig green
24-09-07, 03:28 PM
The Courtenay springs arent very low by todays standards.

Why not send the Astra springs to be shortened & properly pig tailed by coilsprings or recoil?

Martin
24-09-07, 03:44 PM
its a road car i dont need coilovers as i wont be tracking it but i want it to handle as good as it does now. think the koni kit and the courtaney springs will be a good bet? 25mm will it not look sh1t?

You dotn need coilys for a track....

**** it.. i aint wastin my time trying to help you if you aint listening to anybody else who is..

all am gona say is

Fit Cut Springs... Say goodby to the world*...

Fit Billy yellow shocks and suitable springs or coilovers.. Enjoy your self..

* I Had a Near miss in my nova on cut springs.....

craig green
24-09-07, 04:47 PM

Coilovers arent necessarily track only. After all they are only a damper & spring. However you are fitting an engine far torquier & heavier than Vauxhall intended to sit between the narrow front track of a Nova's wheels. Giving it the best chance of finding traction will help you get the most out of the conversion & not looking like you are riding a pogo stick up the road.

You say coilsprings want 7 weeks to turn you around a set? Then wait the 7 weeks, get a cheque off to them to show you are serious & I wouldnt mind betting they arrive before that time.