PDA

View Full Version : Spring/shock choice??

opel2000
24-09-07, 01:42 PM
Just been searching through the forum on springs and shocks.

Whilst I came up with some brilliant sdvice from a lot of topics, the only thing that seemed pretty definitive was fitting AVO Coilovers.

TBH I don't intend to be giving the Nova that much of a hard time when it's on the road to be warranting the need for coil overs BUT I do have a tendency to drive in a spirited fashion, and do like my vehicles to go where I point them without tooo much body roll.

Get the impression that -40mm is a good safe bet for lowered coils.
I know from previous experience from lowering cars that the lower you go the stiffer you go, and that too low will mean shorter travel shocks.
So I don't want to be going too low, coupled with typical council:tosser: maintained roads here in Leicester (Pot holes and bodged up road repairs that rattle the teeth out of your gums with hard suspension:mad: not to mention the stupid amount of Speed ramps in this bloody city:mad: :mad: :mad: )

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for a comforatble set of coil springs with a -40mm drop and a decent set of gas shocks. Again I do not need bone shaking Rally Bilsteins, but something that would give a good all round drive.

As previously said, I have done some searches, but nothing really specific seems to jump out as to what would really be a good bang for bucks set up.

Looking at getting the car back on its wheels in the next week or so, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

_JH_
24-09-07, 02:09 PM
I found the Black Bilstein's (can't remember the name) to be a great improvement on my GSi without shaking my teeth out on the interesting road surfacing methods used by our local council lol

Had -40 springs with them too :)

Dar
24-09-07, 02:15 PM
I ran the Bilstein sprintline kit which was great until the car started to shed lots of weight. At which point the rear crept up because it wasn't as heavy.

craig green
24-09-07, 02:36 PM
I felt compelled to reply after seeing a recommendation for Black Bilsteins. AVOID.

If the local roads to you are poor, you want something pretty firm IMO, there is crashes & rattles that arent nice, but a crap kit that bottoms out onto the bump stops & in some cases, pushes the bump stops over the damper is far worse.

My advice is KONI adjustables, sensible height on their springs & the damping is adjustable which is pretty handy especially if you do an odd track day & want to firm them right up.

Just buy quality names & avoid boy racer rubbish like Pi, Jamex (GMAX) & such like.

_JH_
25-09-07, 06:45 PM
I felt compelled to reply after seeing a recommendation for Black Bilsteins. AVOID...

...a crap kit that bottoms out onto the bump stops & in some cases, pushes the bump stops over the damper...

So you've seen that happen to the black billies? I guessing there was a fault somewhere else, or they were fitted badly lol

They're a cracking kit for the use he's mentioned.

Ash
25-09-07, 06:53 PM
suprised no-one has metioned bilstien B8's - better than a lot of coilovers :thumb:

Cheaper, I've never had a problem with my AVO shock and springs. As craig said Koni. Basically you get what you pay for.

My understanding is Black Billies are just uprated for standard height suspension.

Also i've heard good things about Eibach springs, nice and progressive. You could alway get some made up at: www.coilspring.co.uk (http://www.coilspring.co.uk)

Ste L
25-09-07, 07:05 PM
suprised no-one has metioned bilstien B8's - better than a lot of coilovers :thumb:

are the B8's the really thick piston one's?

if so, heard very good report's on them, :thumb:

Ash
25-09-07, 07:09 PM
yarp.

They also make B1, B2, B3, B4, etc - which I never knew. All differant specs/diameters, etc

adam c
25-09-07, 08:46 PM
i had the bilstein b12 kit on my corsa and i highly recommend them.they are the bilstein thick piston dampers and the eibach progressivly wound springs.i bought them from balance motorsport and they are top guys

opel2000
25-09-07, 09:38 PM
Thanks for advice so far fella's.
TBH if this was a Manta forum I could give years of experience of fitting and trying various springs, shocks and ride heights.
It all cost me a bloody fortune over the years and I did end up with a lot of knowledge as to what was good and worked for me through personal experience...... Oddly enough a recent purchase of lowered springs were possibly the best I'd ever had for a Manta and they were AVO's.

Many thanks for the posts fella's just though it would be a good ide to post a quick reply up to let people know I'm not ignoring this topic, but sheer lack of Nova experience ditates I simply cannot add a great deal to this topic i started.

Look forward to more posts on this, thanks again people. :thumb:

GRUNT 16V
26-09-07, 10:44 AM
Im running Koni's with Eibach springs !! top notch handling.

craig green
26-09-07, 11:17 AM
I've got a set of barely used Eibach springs if you are interested. They arent available any more & are well recommended as this thread suggests.

The comments about the Black Billies being faulty, I had 4 sets of fr dampers (3 warranty) all failed. Also the rears spat out all the oil both at the same time! The springs from the kit are awfull too (Pi)

Just AVOID IMO.