PDA

View Full Version : strut top plates

shanemc
23-09-07, 08:42 PM
im currently reshelling my gte into a 1.0l shell,im stitch welding and plating the engine bay,just wondering would i need to get a pair of strut top plates?im running coilovers and a e16se.

thanks,
Shane

Stuart
23-09-07, 08:43 PM
imho I cant see how the plate on their own can help.... but hey what do I know lol

staggy_gsi
23-09-07, 09:28 PM
well i suppose theyre there for a reason. think you can get them on ebay for 20something quid

Adam
23-09-07, 09:33 PM
well i suppose theyre there for a reason. think you can get them on ebay for 20something quid
I cant see a reason, they just sit on top of the std turrets, doing nothing.

GRUNT 16V
24-09-07, 12:24 PM
I welded them to mine when i done the GTE conversion !! while your there you just aswell do it !! not much extra work.

Stuart
24-09-07, 12:41 PM
yeah but what does the "extra work" actually gain you in terms of chassis improvements?

craig green
24-09-07, 03:31 PM
Might aswell put an extra washer under the top mount nuts....

You can identify a GTE/GSi from the strut top plates but I really see no reason how they reinforce the turret as they are not tied into the turret or innerwing/chassis leg in anyway.

Mike
24-09-07, 03:36 PM
They were there for the works GTE rally cars (what is now the Super 1600 series cars), the shells were homologated with them fitted :thumb:

Jack
24-09-07, 03:39 PM
Surely though if you come down hard on one wheel, the whole turret will be pulled up, and it'll be the seam round the bottom that will give way, not the top part?

craig green
24-09-07, 03:41 PM
Yes, but they dont perform any function other than take up threads on the top mounts & add weight to the shell. They arent tied into any point structurally.

If the top edge of the turret peeled away (not that it would), the extra top plate would peel away with it & not help in any way.

I prefer the look with them on however...

therealnovaboy
24-09-07, 03:49 PM
my 1.2 nova started to crack the paint tound the top of the strut as if the strutt mount was streching the turret top as the strut pushed up into the turret . i would put them on. washers wont do anything as they wont spread the load around the turret
they were put there for a reason so they must be an improvement. if mr vauxhall could have done away with them and saved 10p on metal on every gte or gsi sold belive you me he would have done without them.

Mike
24-09-07, 03:59 PM
Yes, but they dont perform any function other than take up threads on the top mounts & add weight to the shell. They arent tied into any point structurally.

If the top edge of the turret peeled away (not that it would), the extra top plate would peel away with it & not help in any way.

I prefer the look with them on however...

Correct Craig, they offer no structural strength what so ever! Nothing at all, not a bit lol

If your planning on doing any welding in that area, do the strut top seams where they join the inner wings :thumb:

Chris Astley
24-09-07, 04:09 PM
They do provide a good addition to any shell and i consider them to be a must for any shell being used properly. I have seen numerous road cars with the strut tower top become ballooned and raised up, this is caused by increased suspension loads and stiffer suspension. If the car isnt going to be driven aggresively/properly then the benefits of these will never been seen and appear pointless to the driver.

Chris

craig green
24-09-07, 04:33 PM
my 1.2 nova started to crack the paint tound the top of the strut as if the strutt mount was streching the turret top as the strut pushed up into the turret . i would put them on. washers wont do anything as they wont spread the load around the turret

Comment about using washers was sarcastic & a comparison to the extra thickness of the top plate.

I've seen this on a few occasions but never the turret stretching.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Engine%20bays%20n%20Mods/badrust.jpg

My shell has taken some pretty severe abuse due to faulty suspension in the past, however mine is a GSi & thus has the double thickness turret tops.

Adam
24-09-07, 05:31 PM
Yep/\
The strut welds to the inner wing(especially if rusted) are much weaker than the top of the turret itself.

I do see the point Rallyman makes tho, if the bottom part of the turret to inner wing is strengthened, more load goes onto the top mount area.

Philsutton
24-09-07, 08:53 PM
They are useless, if the turret wants to part company with the rest of the car it will do around the seams that attach it to the inner wings as thats where they always go.

craig green
25-09-07, 10:15 AM
I guess a seam weldsed shell landing regularly from 3 feet of air would possibly stretch the turret tops!

loggyboy
25-09-07, 01:02 PM
You can identify a GTE/GSi from the strut top plates

And SRis ;)

shanemc
27-09-07, 08:45 PM
cheers for all the replies lads.im planning on ordering mounts from chris astley so i think ill get the plates as well for all extra they cost,i just want the shell to be as strong as possible and ive have the bay all stripped ready for welding anyway so its not exactly much hassle and not going to do any harm welding them in along with everything else.