PDA

View Full Version : c20xe noob question (probably)

Christ
23-09-07, 06:29 PM
Ok. I have a c20xe nova. Engine swap was in the car when I got it. It has Always idled high (2000+) sometimes in traffic it blips down then goes up again. I took the ICV off and spent a while abusing it with carb spray then refitted it, it didnt do anything. Then I found a thread on here saying knock sensor(red) and ICV (black) plugs can get mistaken so I checked that sure enough they were the wrong way around. fixed that now it idles at about 1500, still blips down on the odd occasion and if I tap the accelerator.

Sprayed some carb spray round the air pipes to try to find leaks but didnt notice anything. I took the pipe that goes from the SFI box to the ICV off and jammed a screwdriver in it, the engine died. Then I started it again and kept my food on the accelerator and it runs, exhaust sounds raspier (like a motorbike IMO; Its a Lame ass peco exhaust) I couldnt see if it idled any better because it just died when I took my foot off.

re connected the pipe again and went round the car looking for anything else strange sounding. The fuel pump constantly makes a buzzing/whining sound, is that normal? Also the exhaust doesnt make a constant sound, it pops about. How can you tell if a car is misfiring, can you tell by the exhaust note?

Now I would normally put up with this problem off high revs but sometimes when I accerlate off a roundabout etc the car bogs down at about 3000rpm and doesnt go again till i take my foot off, Its very annoying.

Should i just try a new ICV? Also, the temperature guage sits a fraction under the half way mark. The fan works. It does loose coolant but its from a leaking joint on the radiator, I think.

Welsh Dan
23-09-07, 09:55 PM
Have a look at the spark plugs and see what they tell you.