PDA

View Full Version : welding and panels

Matt Finary
28-05-02, 01:04 PM
Alright people, I need a bit of help. I have now strip my sr to a bare shell(I mean bare).
I am now going to seam weld the whole shell and I replacing the front panel(inc crossmember),wings, rear 1/4's, doors, sills and battery tray.
what need to know is whether I cut the spare wheel well out(it's rusty) and weld in a piece of 18gauge sheet steel so I can have a custom exhaust.
what primer should I use when I have finished welding.
how do I remove the seam seal?
The car doors are going to be delocked and dehandled and worried if the battery fails what i can do to get in.
I am removing the rain gutters and want to know who has done it? any probs?
Has anyone seen up close a nova with a gull wing door con on it. how was it done?
what is the best way to flush the tailgate?

THANKS VERY MUCH

Matt

IF IT'S STANDARD, CHANGE IT!

Matt Finary
28-05-02, 01:08 PM
sorry if it's hard to understand I did read it back.

ade
28-05-02, 01:56 PM
not doinf much then... :p
4 Primer use etch primer on bare metal - thats wot I was advised for bare metal (cheers apples). then cover with normal primer, paint and seal with bitumen or some other water proofing to protect underside (watch exhaust area mind). As for welding sorry but I'm no help there. If you remove raid gutters you will need to find some way of reinforcing the join to attach the roof to the sides of the car - unless u fancy sporting a convertable...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

ade
28-05-02, 01:57 PM
not doinf much then... :p
4 Primer use etch primer on bare metal - thats wot I was advised for bare metal (cheers apples). then cover with normal primer, paint and seal with bitumen or some other water proofing to protect underside (watch exhaust area mind). As for welding sorry but I'm no help there. If you remove raid gutters you will need to find some way of reinforcing the join to attach the roof to the sides of the car - unless u fancy sporting a convertable...
As for tailgate - try and get one already done - theres a good guide somewhere (cant think where I've seen it - look in styling and go back a few weeks - theres a link)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

Doddy
30-05-02, 11:13 AM
To do the rain gutering cut it off as close to the main body as possible, hammer back the little bit that is left so it is sort of in the area you what it to be in at the end when you fill it in. now get in side the car and weld a stip alone in side to re enforce the gutter area, also weld the same strip from the outside. Now grind off the extra weld on the outside, apply a load of zine primer to the area. Now get a right load of fibre glass filler and go for you life, fill and sand ,fill and sand, you got the picture. Now spray a shed load of hi build primer on, sand back, spray up and sand back till you get a perfectly smooth surface.

It`s a long and slow job, but if done right looks well cool.

As for the delocking i had the same problem so got an alarm with battery back up, or as i used to do have a piece of coat hanger securied to the under side of your car, if battery goes flat, brake in using coat hanger. It will scare you how easy this is to do...

as for the boot door, cut off the lower half of the door, cut alone the bend line and grind the spot welds out on the bits that fold around the edges. Now replace with a new piece of sheet steel, fold edges round on the sides and bottom, weld up. From behind/inside the door weld alone the new join at the top, on other side fill and sand gap till smooth..

i hope this was of some help, there is probably easier ways to do these things but i don`t know them...

Matt Finary
30-05-02, 12:54 PM
thanks very much!

do you know about the gull wing doors.

Matt Finary
30-05-02, 12:54 PM
thanks very much!

do you know about the gull wing doors.

Doddy
30-05-02, 02:41 PM
mate do you what the world on a plate???
No, sorry mate never seen them, i am guesting they would be hard work to perfect.

Breeny
30-05-02, 03:16 PM
sounds like someones on a mission! Get some pics mate... :)

Don't think anyone has done Gull Wing doors in the UK yet, but Sids got suicide doors or whatever you call them! (open the other way)