PDA

View Full Version : dta management questions

adam c
22-09-07, 12:58 AM
hi just been searching for 1.6 8v tuning options and noticed a lot of people recommend going mappable management on these engines.how much gain do you get?also can you buy everything so its plug and play?how much does it cost?:thumb:

Stuart
22-09-07, 07:59 AM
its not plug and play as such. you need to make a new loom (well you can cut up youre existing one but atbest its going to be 14/15 years old and I wouldnt trust it).

the new S40 (replacement for the EXP48) costs about ?550ish depending where you get it from.

mapping is usually about ?50 per hour minimum.

if its on a std engine, hardly any gain. If you have head work, cams, bottom end tweeks then yeah it can unleash those gains etc.

its just an alternative route to taken than the usual T40 carb setup..... plus if youre of "that" kind the engine still looks largely standard.....

adam c
22-09-07, 01:15 PM
okay.so if i get a ported and polished head with bigger valves etc and different cam do you think it would be worth it?i like the engine thats in now but i just want a bit more power out of it but i dont want to lose much power from low down by fitting a lairy cam and its also my daily driver so dont want it tempremental or being a petrol guzzler:thumb:

Stuart
22-09-07, 04:15 PM
i think it would be an excellent choice, plus you can move it to other cars with minimal cost + any upgrades you do to the current car will be easily tweekable etc.

adam c
22-09-07, 09:29 PM
where can you get them from?also do you use a nova loom or a dta loom?

Adam
23-09-07, 12:11 AM
You need to make a loom to fit up with the dta ecu connector.

Stuart
23-09-07, 08:04 AM
and as said, i would make a new loom as the old loom will be crappy and just cause you problems.

www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk for the loom stuff.
contact DTA direct for a proce (www.dtafast.co.uk)