PDA

View Full Version : indicators

cooltom31
20-09-07, 01:33 PM
since fitting a digidash my fuse in number 7 for the indicators keeps blowing, so i put a bigger fuse in to get me home but it seems something else has gone now, i checked the bulbs and they are fine, the hazards arnt working either ive got no idea what to check next. any help would be good.

cheers

tom

Clean 2.0 nova
20-09-07, 06:18 PM
Just link out all the fuses with thick wire, you'll soon find where the problem is.:eek:

Seriously now, when fiiting digi dash did you run two new indicator wires to the digi dash and isolate the original nova blinker feed?

cooltom31
20-09-07, 08:14 PM
i just left it unplugged for now, they were working fine wen the fuse randomly blew. could it be the relay? if so how would i know?

Dave.
20-09-07, 10:12 PM
sounds like the problem im having with mmine. when yheyre not in use they make a buzzing sound and the dash lights stay on very dim. so ive left them off for now. ive been told you need regulators or resisors of some king.

carls nova sri
20-09-07, 10:22 PM
are there any wirers touching or are they wired up correctly

Clean 2.0 nova
20-09-07, 10:39 PM
Looking at the wiring diagram reveals that the flasher / timer / relay works in an odd way. When the ignition is on the relay is 'energised' / ready to go. But obviously it isn't constantly clicking all the time.

The only explanation I can think of at this time in the evening is that for it to start flashing (clicking) is it knows when there is a current drain through it (to LHS or RHS indicators) and then starts flashing. There are only 3 wires to the flasher: supply, GND and oscillating output.

What I suggest is if you've disconnected the flasher light in the original dash then there is no high resistance path to GND via the bulb from the flasher output. My original dash bulb is disconnected but the circuit works fine, in your case you may need a high resistance resistor to ground from the relay output (Black / white with green stripe wire) of say 1K ohms (0.144W)

cooltom31
22-09-07, 09:56 AM
so basically what your saying is that when the indicator lights on the dash are wired in this will solve the problem? i still think the either the indicator relay or the hazard switch has blown because the relay is not ticking.

Clean 2.0 nova
22-09-07, 12:57 PM
so basically what your saying is that when the indicator lights on the dash are wired in this will solve the problem? i still think the either the indicator relay or the hazard switch has blown because the relay is not ticking.

No, what I'm saying is you may need to simulate the original instrument bulb with a resistor. See simple diagram I made up of original nova setup:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x198/iaingra/indicatorwiring.jpg
If you follow the diagram you see the relay / flasher is always powered up when ignition is on - but doesn't make a noise. In order for it to start flashing / clicking all I can assume is it senses when it is connected to a load (i.e. indicators). I would recommend the 'simulating' resistor as a last resort if everything else checks out fine, as doing this would more truly represent the circuit as wired into an original dash. Furthermore when wiring up a digi dash you would connect the digi dashes indicator bulbs in parrallel with indicators. But this would not affect anything as the proportion of extra load on each indicator leg would be of insignificance to the indicator relay.

Hope this clears thing up:tard: