PDA

View Full Version : Help with Coilovers.

Shaun_O'Donnell
18-09-07, 06:33 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/STA60056.jpg

Is there a bearing in the top cap (pictured just to the right of the top of the strut) that comes with the coilovers?

Then is it just a case of fitting the part just to the top left of the stut and nutting it up?

I've tried all combinations and just doesn't seem to rotate (impersonating the steering) without loosening off the nut.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun.

Adam
18-09-07, 06:36 PM
Yeah there should be a bearing.
And the strut should rotate without moving the top mount.

Check in haynes, theres probably a diagram in there.

Shaun_O'Donnell
18-09-07, 06:42 PM
Does the strut piston rotate independently of the strut body? i.e. when the bearing top cap and top mount are fitted and done up tight, the strut body rotates with the spring which runs on the top cap bearing, but the top mount and strut piston are locked together?

If this is the case then it's probably just the seals within the strut that are tight against the piston which is causing me the confusion.

Clean 2.0 nova
20-09-07, 06:23 PM
Yes the strut piston rotates within the body when turning. The coil turns with the strut body and is then connected to the strut piston via a bearing. If your just testing without it fitted to the car then the fact that the strut will be fully extended means that it is stiff to turn as it is hitting its 'stop' position.

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-09-07, 06:33 PM
Yes the strut piston rotates within the body when turning. The coil turns with the strut body and is then connected to the strut piston via a bearing. If your just testing without it fitted to the car then the fact that the strut will be fully extended means that it is stiff to turn as it is hitting its 'stop' position.

Cheers mate. That's what I was thinking, once I thought about it a bit more. Got them all fitted now, just can't get the wheels on cause the tyres rub against the springs.

195x50x15's Falkens on 7.5" wide rims + coilovers = No go.

The overlap from the rim to the edge of the tyre is 9mm, the tyre fouls the spring by 4.65mm. Hoping 185's on a different brand will help.

Hopefully get the car on it's wheels on Saturday.

Cheers again,

Shaun.

Clean 2.0 nova
20-09-07, 06:56 PM
7.5" wheels on a nova is way too big IMO. You'll have trouble getting it to sit low if at all with coilovers.

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-09-07, 07:06 PM
7.5" wheels on a nova is way too big IMO. You'll have trouble getting it to sit low if at all with coilovers.

Not on a Saloon :thumb:

seeeeeeeeeeeelammmmmmmed lol lol

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-09-07, 07:08 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/NSdone.jpg

There's not much more it can go, running out of threads....

scott.parker
20-09-07, 07:37 PM
Thats well nice.

But will you not catch the platforms on your tyres?

Scott

Shaun_O'Donnell
21-09-07, 05:57 PM
Removed the tyre and fitted the rim. Got 10mm from rim to spring. I am hoping I can get tyres to fit and clear everything. Find out tomorrow.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/rimclearance.jpg

Want to avoid spacing the fronts out.

Shaun_O'Donnell
21-09-07, 05:58 PM
The track rod end is also very close to the rim. But not bothered about that.

Clean 2.0 nova
21-09-07, 06:47 PM
Just run it like that and it will be well low:thumb:. You may suffer from slight understeer though:eek:.

vauxestate
18-03-08, 06:18 PM
are coilovas for a noemal nova or for the sallon ??

Shaun_O'Donnell
18-03-08, 06:27 PM
are coilovas for a noemal nova or for the sallon ??

Say again????

Saloon & hatch novas share the same suspension components, no difference.

Shaun.

vauxestate
19-03-08, 11:19 AM
haha oh yer soz was ment to say is there any difference in them as the weight diff at the bac

Adam
19-03-08, 11:30 AM
Theres no real weight difference tbh.
A saloon is just a hatchback, with an extra piece welded on the back(seriously) lol

vauxestate
19-03-08, 11:39 AM
cool thank you very much ppl

Dod
19-03-08, 12:06 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/NSdone.jpg

What kind of front spoiler is that????? Its Gorgeous!!!

Ste L
19-03-08, 12:15 PM
it's a VERY RARE Zender front valance

Jack
19-03-08, 12:28 PM
A saloon is just a hatchback, with an extra piece welded on the back(seriously) lol
You mean a hatch is a saloon with the boot cut off ;)

Most stuff from the b pillar back is different aside from sills and interior rear quarter trims. Only 5kg heavier than the equivalent hatch though.

Dod
19-03-08, 12:42 PM
it's a VERY RARE Zender front valance

FFS!!! I've been trying to get something for my Opel Corsa A for ages and cant get anything.

craig green
19-03-08, 12:48 PM
Just to add a technical not to this thread. The std GM top mount should allow independant rotation to that of the damper piston/spring when turning.

If the piston & spring were relied upon to turn, this would cause friction/wear to the lower spring seat etc.

Jack
19-03-08, 04:39 PM
FFS!!! I've been trying to get something for my Opel Corsa A for ages and cant get anything.
Dod, I've seen quite a few Zender valances on ebay.de if you're willing to pay shipping from Germany.

The one Shaun bought, I PM-ed the seller asking about it a few times and didn't get a reply lol

Dod
19-03-08, 04:57 PM
Jack, I'd remove one of my own kidneys, myself and exchange it for one.

I'll have a look, but have you got a language converter/online Dictionary?

Jack
19-03-08, 05:03 PM
Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com) is probably your best bet. Google translator is ok, but tends to be a bit more random.

Just had a look now and can't see anything decent, but keep an eye out and something may turn up.

Shaun_O'Donnell
19-03-08, 06:03 PM
Jack, I'd remove one of my own kidneys, myself and exchange it for one.

I'll keep that in mindlol

Shaun_O'Donnell
19-03-08, 06:05 PM
The one Shaun bought, I PM-ed the seller asking about it a few times and didn't get a reply lol

I PM'd him, emailed him and messaged him through ebay constantly until I got a reply. So glad I did now.