PDA

View Full Version : sifference between 1.2 carbed n single point

paulwar
18-09-07, 01:17 PM
as the above whats the difference on the engine between a carbed 1.2 and a single point version, other then carbs n manifold

i heard the pistons are different maybe the bottom ends. Also can you tell the difference looking at the block if a single point had a carb onit.

Stuart
18-09-07, 01:28 PM
pretty much everything is different

and from a scamming the insurance point of view they can look at the engine number ;)

paulwar
18-09-07, 02:47 PM
not scamming insurance, it's for a race car, was wondering if you looked at the block you would tell the difference between the 2. Or would the only way to tell is to strip the engine down.

Stuart
18-09-07, 03:08 PM
engine numbers if they know what theya re looking at.

plus scrutineers arent retards, if you are only alowed a 1.2i then a 1.2 carb is going to be obvious.

paulwar
18-09-07, 03:14 PM
no u only allowed a carbed version, but then if i was to strip engine n paint it you wouldn't see the engine number.

Jack
18-09-07, 03:31 PM
Why would you want to replace with an injection unit though? The carb is the better engine of the two, and 10bhp up (from the factory anyway). Or are you thinking about mixing and matching parts between the two?

Adam
18-09-07, 05:01 PM
If they engine is inspected tho, they will see that it has no carb(seeing as the spi throttle body has tps/icv wiring etc etc)

paulwar
19-09-07, 10:35 AM
thats why i asked, i didn't know what the difference is between the engines.

as to inspection i would take manifold single point bits and put new carb etc on it so it would be a carbed engine rather then just swapping the body's etc.

all wiring has gone and i would be wiring it up

Philsutton
19-09-07, 10:41 AM
im sure that the bore an stroke are different on the two, i.e the spi has a bigger piston and shorter stroke, so using the carb crank an rods you would get a higher capacity. Either that or im compleetly wrong

Stuart
19-09-07, 10:41 AM
but the 1.2i engine is toilet compared to the 1.2 carb version....
its not jsut the cat that loses you power its the crap sqaure port head etc.

Adam
19-09-07, 03:16 PM
but the 1.2i engine is toilet compared to the 1.2 carb version....
its not jsut the cat that loses you power its the crap sqaure port head etc. In standard form yeah, heavily restricted, unlike the 1.2 carb engine.

You remove the cat, pee shooter downpipe, pathetic cam from a 1.2i, and replace with carb items, it will be better than a 1.2 carb engine(unless you go fitting bigger carbs etc)

With a gte manifold/downpipe, gte cam, de-cat, a 1.2i made 60hp on a rolling road.

A C12NZ does indeed have a different bore/stroke to a 1.2 carb, it has a tiny bore.