PDA

View Full Version : kerb collision affecting steering etc

bob
21-05-02, 06:07 PM
I hit a kerb quite hard a week ago on the n/s while turning left, I have bought a new steering rack- anyone know what else it could have effected?-Im fitting the steering rack tonite I hope

a car that works properly?- think Im daydreaming...

Toby
21-05-02, 07:33 PM
You may have bent the lower wishbone. The easiest way to see is look for a ripple along the edges of it. Better to bend steering components than the chassis.

:>

Doddy
21-05-02, 10:48 PM
what do you call hard?? if it was hard enought to nack the rack, lots could be bent.

As Toby said check the track control arm, and also the bearing in the strut top.

Stuart
22-05-02, 12:43 AM
i clipped a kerb a twisted the chassis a bit lol (re jigged for free though)

BEng (hons) just isnt enough, i need a Msc too!

Doddy
23-05-02, 09:51 AM
it seams daft but i actual found it easier to just let the rear gearbox mounting down. Gives you that extra room.

bob
23-05-02, 12:18 PM
I found that nut and it was a pain!- I have changed it and it seems ok now,although there is a faint clunking sound when going down speed bumps- I think the one damper may be at fault,I will have a better look soon, Im getting it looked at in a week, having ther cam belt finally sorted so it dont whine,I really hope I aint twisted it tho :( if I have its hunt another nice 3 door mk2 time again!

lha
26-05-02, 01:07 AM
Try replacing the hub assembly? :-/

bob
26-05-02, 06:51 PM
will try,its alot better now but theres a thud/knock no n then on sharp turning or on speed bumps

eddiecorke2
22-02-06, 01:36 PM
i to have hit a kirb and bent my wishbone. What are the chances that my car is a right off because 1 guy in a guarage has tried to tell me this????????

please give me your opinions!!!

Thanks

Stuart
22-02-06, 03:09 PM
start a new thread rather than bumping old ones :wall: