PDA

View Full Version : cant get reverse gear..also 2.0 wiring??

greg1.4
15-09-07, 06:43 PM
just been round at my nova (1300 SR with standard SR box) working on it this afternoon and i went to have a wee drive after putting the engine in etc a few weeks ago and i noticed i had no reverse. the gearstick moves into the reverse position and when i select reverse by moving the gear selector on top of the gearbox it drives in reverse fine.. i havee tried adjusting the bracket where it bolts onto the gearstick rod thing but still no luck. i have tried adjusting it to different positions for about an hour.. is there a easy way of setting them up so i can get all gears working perfect..:confused:

and i have bought a cavvy 2.0 sri engine and a astra gte engine (both 8v) for my nova and just wondering about some wiring?? if i was going to fit it, i would put my webber 40's on to save wiring ecu etc etc.. would 40's be ok jetted for a 2.0?? can i get manifolds for a 2.0 8v for webber 40's?

now the wiring part, i use my nova mini loom (alternator, starter, water temp etc etc)..will the starter and alternator loom fit straight on to the cavvy start and alternator? and what coil and dizzy do i use to run with carbs.. any other wires i need to make the engine run in a nova? what wires will i need to make/join for it to run even with carbs.. i would be grateful if you could tell me every wire needed for the dizzy/coil etc etc and where the wires go and what they are etc as this is the bit i am stumped on?? cheers

there is 3 pipes that looks to be for the coolant (back of the engine under the inlet manifold), on a nova there is only two pipes that go into the bulkhead but wha will i do with 3? do i t-piece it in somehow or blank it off or is one nothing to do with the cooland and goes somewhere else??

thanks in advance..Greg

greg1.4
15-09-07, 09:05 PM
can anyone help??

Adam
15-09-07, 09:10 PM
40s should be ok on a 8v 2L.
Will need a complete new choke/jet setup tho.
And a old big block carb dizzy.

Yeah the starter/alt loom should fit fine.
Just neeed to wire the ignition system.

Shaun_O'Donnell
15-09-07, 09:13 PM
It'll be wear on the linkage joints that's giving you a sloppy gearchange and thus not selecting reverse. There's not a lot of room to play with between being able to select reverse and 5th. You really need 2 people to do this. One to hold the gearstick steady, whilst the other adjusts the shaft joint accordingly. It does take the slightest adjustment to get all the gears, so be patient.

Good luck..

Clean 2.0 nova
15-09-07, 09:16 PM
There is a setup procedure for this on F16/18/20 gearboxes, not sure for small block
1. Remove beige plug thing on gearbox (facing to rear near selector) + insert 5mm (ish) drill in there while 'wiggling' selector left to right. This sets the gaerbox selector on centre plane between 1st and 2nd gear.
2. Slacken connecting rod that you mentioned.
3. Get a friend to hold gearstick to far LHS position (without pushing down for reverse) so it is also midway between 1st and 2nd.
4. Tighten connecting rod while friend is still pushing your stick, erm gearstick
5. Enjoy trouble free gear changes forever - well maybe if your really lucky.

This is a brief description but as I say not sure if F13 box has this 'home' setting position.

Iain

Clean 2.0 nova
15-09-07, 09:21 PM
Not sure about 3 coolant pipes into bulkhead - can't imagine what third would have been for.

Shaun_O'Donnell
15-09-07, 09:26 PM
When you select 1st, are you getting 1st or 3rd?

If you're getting 1st, you're not far off, just need that extra wee bit to get reverse.

Welsh Dan
15-09-07, 11:23 PM
When I've had to reallign my linkage I've always put the box in 5th, pushed the stick all the way forward and right, then moved it back and left 15-20mm and got someone to tighten up the clamp. I've never had a problem getting reverse when doing it this way, and my linkage has a good inch or more play in it at the stick in each direction lol.

Adam
16-09-07, 12:19 AM
I set my linkage just in neutral, on my own.
And it worked fine first go.

The extra coolant pipes will be because they have a different system to a small block 8v.

johnny_turbo
16-09-07, 01:12 AM
This is what i had 2 do to my old nova to get reverse and all gears.
select reverse by moving the gear selector on top of the gearbox then put the gear stick in reverse as said you might need two people.

greg1.4
19-09-07, 11:03 AM
so what about these 3 pipes?? on the 2.0 engine there is 3 pipes coming out the back and look like they are coolant and go into the bulkhead..

a nova only has two water pipes on the bulkhead..

what do i do with the 3rd one??

has anyone had this problem before?

Riggy
19-09-07, 06:05 PM
There is a setup procedure for this on F16/18/20 gearboxes, not sure for small block
1. Remove beige plug thing on gearbox (facing to rear near selector) + insert 5mm (ish) drill in there while 'wiggling' selector left to right. This sets the gaerbox selector on centre plane between 1st and 2nd gear.
2. Slacken connecting rod that you mentioned.
3. Get a friend to hold gearstick to far LHS position (without pushing down for reverse) so it is also midway between 1st and 2nd.
4. Tighten connecting rod while friend is still pushing your stick, erm gearstick
5. Enjoy trouble free gear changes forever - well maybe if your really lucky.

This is a brief description but as I say not sure if F13 box has this 'home' setting position.

Iain

thats the proper way , and i have never had to adjust after doin that

Adam
19-09-07, 06:09 PM
so what about these 3 pipes?? on the 2.0 engine there is 3 pipes coming out the back and look like they are coolant and go into the bulkhead..

a nova only has two water pipes on the bulkhead..

what do i do with the 3rd one??

has anyone had this problem before?
I bet ones for the expansion tank :thumb:

greg1.4
20-09-07, 09:22 AM
mhhh, i dont think so.

one from the expansion tank goes to the radaitor and one big thick one goes onto the black pipe below the dizzy (thats where it joins).. is this the only pipes to expansion tank?

the 3 pipes are all the same length and thickness. i will get a pic.

Greg