PDA

View Full Version : college project

big gra
13-09-07, 02:55 PM
im in my second year at college now doing engineering, and we have to make a project. it can be pretty much anything, we have 4 hours a week to do it and about 6-7 months. i was thinking about doing something for my nova but cant think of much that would take so long. anybody any ideas of what to make, car related or not! :thumb:

vallanc3
13-09-07, 02:57 PM
how about a roll cage?

draper
13-09-07, 02:57 PM
anti-rust laser ?

Welsh Dan
13-09-07, 02:58 PM
Make a Nova-engined Go-Kart. :D

Jeff16v
13-09-07, 03:03 PM
Custom intercooler for C20let nova

PS: i'l buy it when the projects over.

Stuart
the independant rear suspension that is seen in grass track novas.

How indepth does the write up have to be? what are you being assesed on?

you could "model" the front end of the chassis and determine how chassis flex is influenced by big/small block engines, strut braces etc etc (but i'd envisage thats more a Degree level project)

big gra
roll cage would be a good start but it has to have moving parts!! we have to have a 40 page write up, at least!

Stuart
13-09-07, 03:11 PM
Just a thought..... Ive been doing a little bit of this myself... A Steam engine.. not a heavy item but think more along the lines of a light weight V4/6/8 that sort of behaves like a normal 2 stoke engine.

Ive roughly knocked up designs for a V8 22cc engine to run a BBQ spit. But im sure you could expand that out to something that "could" run a light weight car. Put in the assumptions of the project that something like a small nuclear reactor that would be very very safe would provide the steam and then you ahve the eco angle to argue the point with.

you could make a scale model and fit the engine in etc etc.

or am I insane? lol

big gra
13-09-07, 03:12 PM
though along the lines of a steam engine, as i work with the full size things, but the amount of machining involved is a bit beyond me at the moment!

just been told a rollcage would be too big, thought about a strut brace but it would not take long enough, unless i made a front and rear one thet are very well designed with some extra strengthening bars around the car. any ideas?

Stuart
13-09-07, 03:17 PM
supercharge a 2 stroke briggs and stratton, then convert it to a wet sump so no need for gay oil mixes.

big gra
13-09-07, 03:25 PM
anybody got any pics of indipendant rear suspension on a nova??

dhdev (Oli)
13-09-07, 03:27 PM
For my second year HNC project I designed an adjustable anti-roll bar for the back of a nova. Works well as a project as there is plenty of stuff to investigate if you're using CAD and FEA ;)