PDA

View Full Version : Rev limit/ Tach problem??help

LLUDA
13-09-07, 05:25 AM
First let me give my engine specs1300 head with aggressive cam1400 bottom half totally stock only had 15k on itTwin 40s5psi facet pumpGm coil (4 pin transformer looking type) The wires from the distributor are connected to the lower of the four pins one the wire that leads back go inside the car is at the top right pin, this leaves one pin free The above was to give a general idea incase wiring is incorrectNow my dilema after attaching the tachometer signal wire to the only free pin the tach indicates I am idling at about 500rpm, next the car seems to cut out at 3500rpm My questions are1. is the coil n distributor wired correctlly?2. Is the fuel pump too small @ 5psi?3. Is my tach wired correctly, note I didn't get any signal from the other coil leadsThose are the areas I have looked into, tommorow I will check online to see what I may have missed, currently using my mobile phone makes browsing a pain

LLUDA
13-09-07, 05:29 AM
Oh the engine doesn't pass 4k rpm??? Jus dies down up there as if starve for gas or spark not sure which it is don't hav a wiring diagram to check coil wiring thoroughly

LLUDA
13-09-07, 05:31 AM
Oh a quick dumb question will the engine rev to redline while the car is in neutral?? Had to ask I am accustomed to driving cars without tachs

Stuart
13-09-07, 02:06 PM
does it look "like this" (obviously rearrange the pins)
http://www.howellautomotive.com/ProductImages/ScreamDemonCoil.jpg

LLUDA
13-09-07, 03:42 PM
Looks like this

http://home.off-road.com/~keith.cj8/images/hei_conversion/hei_ext_coil.jpg

LLUDA
13-09-07, 03:45 PM
if you were to turn the coil upright with the distributor pin at the top my wires are as follows: the two wires from the distributor are on the two bottom pins and the wire that goes under the dash is attached to the top right pin, hence i get tach signal from the top left pin............?????????? help

Welsh Dan
13-09-07, 04:14 PM
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/coil2.jpg

Green wire is my tachometer, original GM coil for a 1.2 carb engine.

LLUDA
13-09-07, 04:37 PM
ok makes much sense to me as every diagram i read for tach intsallation as the green wire in that position, which i think is also the negative(-) of the distributor...gonna switch them and see what happens.

LLUDA
13-09-07, 05:01 PM
hmmm if i switch the wires around can i cause a fire :0

Welsh Dan
13-09-07, 05:06 PM
I had the wires on my coil on the wrong way round when we swapped the engine, nothing broke I just didn't get a spark.

dan23
13-09-07, 08:16 PM
are your carbs setup ? with correct jets etc

LLUDA
13-09-07, 10:09 PM
Yes as far as i am aware

LLUDA
14-09-07, 06:59 PM
ok i fiddled around with the wires, tried it in the position shown in the picture posted earlier and other combinations no luck..then it came to mind that since my coil isnt wired like any i've seen online maybe i should switch the tach to the 8 cylinder position tada it works lol!!!! my engine revs over 7000rpm, but for safety i set the redline to 6500 and shift to 6000rpm (based on advice i had gotten earlier regarding rev limit etc since the bottomhalf is stock).......wanna dyno in a few weeks..