PDA

View Full Version : xe suspension on the cheap...ish!

alan b
11-09-07, 01:55 AM
hey lads, im building an xe nova on the side but bit strapped for cash after buying the engine! anyway, ive found a kyb it for 170 pound! that cant be right can it? anyway what would ye recomend? have 260-80 max. cheers.

Welsh Dan
11-09-07, 07:47 AM
I'm using kyb gas filled shocks with standard springs and the car handles a lot better then it did on the old worn out ones, but I have no idea how they compare to the likes of koni/bilstein ones with matched springs.

Bear in mind that in general you get what you pay for.

spanishfly
11-09-07, 08:08 AM
If your building an XE to prove the small block bandits who say big blocks understeer fit cheap stuff. If you want to do it properly save up and get proper suspension. What is the use of the car? If road only, then a good set good Koni dampers will do you well.

craig green
11-09-07, 10:00 AM
I would say steer well clear of pony brands (G-MAX etc) & go for Yellow Bilsteins or KONI's, something with a warranty. The main issue with XE suspension is to get higher poundage fr springs.

Either get some made from coilsprings.co.uk or look out for 2nd hand Courtenay ones. They arent that low but they can be shortened, again by coilsprings.co.uk.

Failing that some 2nd hand coilovers maybe?

ANDYRACER
11-09-07, 10:12 AM
With that sort of money you can easily get a set of 2nd hand coilovers. ;)

Lee
11-09-07, 06:16 PM
Make sure the front springs are up to the job of holding the extra weight, as spanish said this is the main reason why cheaply built XE's handly badly.