PDA

View Full Version : Problem with custom exhaust

Rich
10-09-07, 06:35 PM
OK a couple of months ago i got a new exhaust made up by longlife exhaust in battersea. Once they had done it i realised they hadnt put any joins in it, all welded solid with no flexi at all. I rang them up and asked why and said i thought it rediculous, as the only way i would ever get the exhaust off the car is to cut it. Cut a ?340 system! They agreed if i took it back they would put joins in it.

I took it back, left it with them for about 4 hours. When i picked it up all they had done was put a join in the front by cutting and clamping another bit of pipe around it with 2 clamps. That was it, no joins at the back. Before i left i made sure they knew what i wanted them to do, i didnt mention the flexi as i didnt think about it at the time, i was more concerned that i wouldnt be able to get the exhaust off for when/if my engine has to come out. The reply was why would you want to take off the exhaust?? They tried to say i had told them to weld it all solid so that it couldnt be stolen??? Why would i say that! They only put the 1 join in, so im still stuck and wouldnt be able to get the exhaust off for any reason. I couldnt be bothered to argue with the bloke about it and just went home. Then realising i really have wasted my money.

Anyway ive put my car on the ramp at work today, to find that one of the branches has cracked all the way round on my 4 branch. I dont know where i stand, as the systems are supposed to be lifetime guarentee. Ive never been at all happy with it due to the fact its a complete bodge up. The joins are terrible, its not a smooth flow. I would never think of taking my car back there but now i need to call them. The manager (also the owner!) was a complete c**t. The second time i went he just turned around and walked off while i was talking to him.

They have another branch near me i will go to if i can as its still a longlife place. I dont know what to do, to be honest i want a new system made or my money back, i cant see them doing either. Shouldnt they know what they are doing anyway? To ask WHY i would need to remove my exhaust... not put a flexi in, it its 2 things i assumed would be common sense, they havent got a clue!

Im going to give the headquarters a ring tomorrow in my lunch break, im just not sure what i can say. It is their fault my manifolds now cracked, but i havent said anything about it soon enough? But then alot of people wouldnt know anything about their car or how an exhaust should be anyway?

Do they have the right to tell me to get lost? Im sure the manager bloke at battersea would do. I dont know whether to play dumb and say my local vauxhall garage has told me its cracked due to no flexi, or to say ive had it on the ramp myself?

I hate being the angry customer:(

Nick
10-09-07, 06:41 PM
thats the problem with these highstreet/chain "custom" places, you're totally reliant on the completely untrained Monkey who's fitting it/making it. Nice in theory, but not really in practice.

Having an exhaust system in one peice is stupid, and if it's cracked allready then you're totally within your rights.

Just go back, be polite and calm yet confident.

chris gsi
10-09-07, 06:58 PM
the custom exhaust i have has a proper join at the back box but no flexi but i have had no problem with it in the 2 years its been on

Ash
10-09-07, 07:41 PM
if it's a chain of stores then I don't see a problem with the other store doing it. It's the company that would pay for the replacement, not the shop.

Personally I'd complain to the company rather than your local shop and ask them if you could have it re-done at a differant location, cos fook leaving my car with them again, especially if they've had a bollc-ing from above reguarding a certain car.

I dont know whether to play dumb and say my local vauxhall garage has told me its cracked due to no flexi, or to say ive had it on the ramp myself?

I'd just tell them straight, It's obvious there a problem with it.

As for 'why would you want to remove the exhaust' ummm I don't know maybe to work on it? ask them to change your fuel tank or engine without removing the exhaust. lol

kevster
10-09-07, 07:45 PM
are they part of the topgear site ???, if so you could always pop it to my work :)

Rich
10-09-07, 11:39 PM
Yeah they are mate where abouts do you work?

Is your place run by the same people then?

My manifold snapped completly tonight, so need it sorted asap. What do you think i should say if you work for them? To be honest i hate the fact ive paid so much for a crap system, i would want it re-done if possible. At the back it goes to a bigger bore, back to a smaller bore. Doesnt loop over the rear beam properly and knocks on the metal clup that holds the flexi brake hose to the rear beam. I had to raise the car a bit as they didnt sort it like i asked when i went back the first time.

Could you give me a PM if its all the same company, would be a help knowing its somone that gives a s**t touching my car! :thumb:

kevster
11-09-07, 07:28 PM
no mate i work for autowize , but we do work for topgear pm me you number and i will see what i can do for you .

thanks kevin

Rich
11-09-07, 11:28 PM
:thumb: Cheers PM sent

joelgsi
15-11-07, 07:57 PM
aint you sorted this manifold out yet rich! lol takin ur time!!

craig green
15-11-07, 10:25 PM
That is a horrendous story.

I've never attempted a weld in my life, but I'm confident I'd have done a better sound of things by the sound of it.

I definately wouldn't want my car going anywhere near those monkeys again, even if they want to fix it.

TBH getting your money back for the incorrectly made system & reimbursement for the subsequently broken manifold is going to have to be you taking them to a small claims court I reckon. I'd do it though.

Simple pictures of a proper system & theres for comparison would convince any judge.