PDA

View Full Version : whats happend?

LUV2XLR8
10-09-07, 06:15 PM
as most of you know by now, im having a **** time building the nova. problem after problem.
just changed the cam today as the bp320 was a bit too wild.
i have put the standard sr cam back in.
we took the head bolts out to take the cam carrier off, and we re-used the head bolts as they were almost new, they'v coverd about 10 miles.

anyway, whilst the car was idleing outside my house the front hose to the rad exploded!

whats happend? is it the head or just a build up of pressure? :confused: :cry:

Dan 130
10-09-07, 06:21 PM
maybe you had a big air lock somewhere, i dont know for sure on your engine but im sure if there strech bolts you should only use them once

coombsey
10-09-07, 07:03 PM
you should have replaced them but as dan130 says might have been an air lock

Adam
10-09-07, 07:20 PM
It doesn't matter if the headbolts had been tightened up, and then straight away removed, they should still be replaced.

Sounds like heads not sealing correctly, and the cooling system is getting very highly pressurised.

Stuart
10-09-07, 07:41 PM
yep with the bolts having stretched the re torque wasnt enough so has let combustion gas into the coolant and lunched the hose... you "might" be lucky and not warped the head. get it all appart and have a look with a flat edge etc.

always use new headbolts and gasket.

LUV2XLR8
10-09-07, 11:26 PM
thanks for the info people. il take it apart asap and get someone to look at it. hope the head isnt warpt. this engines starting to take the piss