PDA

View Full Version : Astra GTE rear disk conversion

db_1.2
10-09-07, 05:25 PM
I just bought a pair of GTE disks, calipers, and pads (for 20 quid, bargain i think), and it looks to me like it will bolt onto the nova beam, but i just wanted to make sure before i actually set out to do the job. I had a quick feel around the back of the drum but i still had the wheels on and it felt like the assembly just bolts on? Correct or do i have to buy some sort of conversion kit?

Also what cable do i use for the hand brake? Is it possible to use/modify the nova one?

alan b
10-09-07, 08:06 PM
its not that easy bud, youll need to cut off the base plate on the beam, the bit the hub bolts to. then you need to do the same on an astra/cav beam and weld the cav/astra one to the rear beam. it sounds a pain but its not that bad, also when welding on the plates you could weld them 10mm up from where they should be to lower it a bit more!

db_1.2
10-09-07, 10:45 PM
I thought it might be a bit more complicated, f*ck that then, the novas not even worth it! Anyone want some rear disks and calipers?:p

But it seems the holes in the back of the disk assembly might match up to the ones on the original nova beam which is wierd, ah wel.

Rich
11-09-07, 12:09 AM
They wont trust me ive been through rear beam building lol. I think its worth it for the pure ease of checking the brakes and of course it looks alot better which is a bonus.

Most people say it wont improve braking, although i felt a bit better on mine i'd say. Im usying early astra gte 16v (non abs) bias vavles on the mastercylinder.