PDA

View Full Version : Nova suspension upgrade.

Jcb
09-09-07, 05:28 PM
Hi all!

Straight to business, I have a full set of Eibach springs and a full set of Apex shock absorbers both for a Nova Mk2. Is fitting them a massive job that I should well and truely avoid without professional help? Or is it worth a crack at over a weekend with a few mates that have a bit of technical knowledge... oh, and a Haynes manual! ;)

Opinions welcome!

Matt2107
09-09-07, 05:30 PM
Easy as pie mate.

Achieveable in just a few hours.

Fronts have two bolts on the strut tops and 2 at the opposite end to attach to the steering knuckles. You'll need spring compressors unless they're pre-assembled.

Rears are one nut on the top of the strut and one bolt at the strut at the bottom.

Jack the rear beam up when you're putting the rear struts on.

Jcb
09-09-07, 05:34 PM
Might have a crack at it then!
Good to see another Nova enthusiast from Oxford!

craig green
10-09-07, 01:06 PM
Main issues are stubborn bolts & if its the originals coming off, the piston can be well seized into the upper retaining nut. You will need a deep reach ring spanner for it & ideally a socket for the piston on a T-bar.

The HAYNES manual does a great write up for this. Dont forget to have the tracking set.

garyc
10-09-07, 06:07 PM
Air guns a best for removing the strut top nuts. Others a breaker bar and a decent socket normally shift them!

Ash
10-09-07, 10:03 PM
Nice and easy job, first time I did mine it took about 1hr 30 with normal tools, second was about 30mins with air tools lol

hardest part I found was the top mount nut, no probs with an air ratchet.

As CG said, have the tracking done afterwards :thumb:

Lee
10-09-07, 10:13 PM
As Matt said, you WILL need spring compressors. Dont remove the piston retaining nut without the spring compressed as you'll probably lose an arm! lol Youll hear all sorts of storys about removing the top nut while the strut is still ont eh car, but even if you manage it, getting the new ones on will be impossible.

Timmy
11-09-07, 01:09 AM
ill help we did some in less than an hour
pm me we could do it one moring

Jcb
11-09-07, 05:48 PM
Sound mate. Thanks for the offer, ****ing good of you. Only problem is most of the interior trim is currently not in, so the car isn't really drivable. And Heathrow is a 2hr drive at least. By the sounds of it, just need to get my hands on some air tools and i'll be alright!

Thanks again.

Matt2107
12-09-07, 06:16 PM
Where abouts in Oxford are you mate and what colour is your nova?

Might have seen you around.

Jcb
12-09-07, 06:21 PM
Hi, I live in a small village called Cumnor, next to Botley.

Pic of the car here: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86236

Currently not on the road as I'm yet to pass my test, only just turned 17! But hopefully it won't be long!