PDA

View Full Version : Not starting

glenn
16-05-02, 11:06 PM
Earlier on I was driving my nova gte f reg and it started jumping about and loosing power, until it completely cut out! I was sat at the side of the road and after a bit of trying it started up and was fine. about 10 mins later it cut out again this time it wont start up and run. it fires up and i can rev it but it dies on me straight away. ive checked the plugs etc and the ignition parts and they are all fine. the fuel pump seems to be working as i can hear it priming when i switch the car on. oh yeah and know its at least got ?10 of petrol in it. anyone had this prob or have got any ideas????

Dicko
17-05-02, 11:04 AM
sounds like low fuel pressure. u sure the fuel pump is running ok? maybe a blockage?

bam
17-05-02, 11:31 AM
how can the pump be tested??

ade
17-05-02, 10:18 PM
bad fuel or water in yer tank? birds seat ibiza did same - only it went into limp home mode. filled tank up n worked fine. fuel filter?

Toby
17-05-02, 11:09 PM
I have a small amount of water in my tank. Does wonders for performance - NOT.

ade
19-05-02, 04:15 PM
u can get this additive (dry fuel I think its called) which is supposed to absorbe the water and break it down - dunno how it works, It also is supposed to protect fuel system. I had water in my tank, used it and noticed good results.

Ade

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

fleming
19-05-02, 07:31 PM
Ive had this on mine mate, turned out to be a small piece of dirt blocking the main jet. Thats where i would look, strip the carb down and blow all the jets out.

fleming
19-05-02, 07:34 PM
lol, bugger just read question again!! yeah would think its on fuel side.

Rich Dale
20-05-02, 03:33 AM
Could be a dodgy sensor maybe?

The injection alters the engine setting based on the info it gets from the sensors (as you'll no doubt know), so if ones buggered, it's not going to run right.
The Coolant temp. sensor, which is under the dizzy, caused starting and running probs on my GTE...in my case, it was only in cold weather but it can equally cause probs when the engine is hot....cost ?20.27 from Vaux for a new one.

What you describe is exactly what my 1.3 SR/Antibes did when the carb was fucked, but since you've got a GTE (and hence injection), I can't suggest that really!

The injectors might benefit from a clean and as suggested, it might be a dirty fuel filter or some blockage in the pipes.

My fuel pump keeps making funny noises and stopped working entirely the other day....all I did was wiggle the wires and clean the connections and it's been fine since....have a gander at it's general condition....it might be working most of the time but might keep cutting out....could be control really in that case.