PDA

View Full Version : Nova v6

Mike
07-09-07, 10:39 AM
What kinda work & parts am i looking at to fit a 2.5 v6 into a Nova? Besides suspension & brakes, what shafts as im thinking 22 spline mofo's with big hubs?

Just a little curios at present tbh...

Ste L
07-09-07, 10:48 AM
if using 22 spiline, you use small hubs.. if you want to use big hubs then you need bigger conversion shafts..

will need to cut and shut the manfold at the rear to clear the steering rack

280/300lbs front spring's would be suitable,

v6/turbo brakes will be up to the job

also will need a custom engine mount fro driver's side, chris sell's one for the corsa, but not sure if he does a nova one, also gearbox spacer

i think the wiring like the xe iirc

Mike
07-09-07, 11:06 AM
just looked, and Chris doesnt do a Nova V6 mount, but im sure i could adapt the original GM v6 mount to fit id imagine?

Lee
07-09-07, 12:17 PM
Yeah, youll need to modify it as you use an F20, so the engine sits about 20mm further away from the inner wing iirc.

Mike
07-09-07, 01:32 PM
You see, ive just been for a spin in my sisters fiance's Vectra V6, and my god does it go and sound eqaully as nice too lol so i just got thinking tbh

burgo
07-09-07, 05:00 PM
Yeah, youll need to modify it as you use an F20, so the engine sits about 20mm further away from the inner wing iirc.which you do by just changing to an xe flywheel and clutch i beleave

adam c
07-09-07, 07:29 PM
theres a v6 nova for sale at the min at pistonheads

John
07-09-07, 07:34 PM
iirc the o/s engine mount just fits in the space/bolt locations where the x25 pas bracket fits, like a late dis xe.

puss puss
07-09-07, 07:37 PM
custom brackets time i think oo and nice post count G88KAG 999 :P

-Nat

mowgli
07-09-07, 08:45 PM
a few months ago everyone was bitching about the v6 causing terminal understeer, thank god people are seriously looking at doing it. I reckon by moving the battery to the boot & keeping the interior in it, the balance would be close to a big block. Has anyone on here actually got a road legal one?

General Baxter
07-09-07, 09:40 PM
a few months ago everyone was bitching about the v6 causing terminal understeer, thank god people are seriously looking at doing it. I reckon by moving the battery to the boot & keeping the interior in it, the balance would be close to a big block. Has anyone on here actually got a road legal one?

iv had a go in one, it has std boat suspension and 1.2 brakes lol

Adam
08-09-07, 12:17 AM
If you can sort the mounts/suspension, its worth a go.
Its a rare sight to see, and V6 engines are nice and cheap at the minute :)

mowgli
08-09-07, 05:26 PM
iv had a go in one, it has std boat suspension and 1.2 brakes lol

Well, as you might have guessed from previous threads, I am a believer in soft suspension, considering what state roads round hinckley are like, but was the performance really worth the work?

I did read somewhere that a big bore version of an engine is lighter than a small bore one, due to there being less iron in the block. would a 3ltr from everybody's favourite he**** (can you believe it, I can't write the word for a funeral car), the omega, be a better fit?

dannyb
08-09-07, 06:09 PM
a few months ago everyone was bitching about the v6 causing terminal understeer, thank god people are seriously looking at doing it. I reckon by moving the battery to the boot & keeping the interior in it, the balance would be close to a big block.

Would also make an interesting 1/4 mile car, as there won't be any understeer issues, as well as making that awesome noise!:thumb:

mowgli
08-09-07, 06:25 PM
Would also make an interesting 1/4 mile car, as there won't be any understeer issues, as well as making that awesome noise!:thumb:

Yeah but 1/4 miles are the premature ejaculation of the motorsport world......
Before you know it, its all over!

Adam
08-09-07, 07:03 PM
A standard let would kill it on the 1/4 tho...

R1CH
08-09-07, 07:20 PM
A standard let would kill it on the 1/4 tho...

You'd be suprised ... i was !!
There was a laddo up at Crail back end of last year with a 2.6 V6 in a Nova saloon, had about 3 or 4 runs against him and he had me by about 0.2 / 0.4 secs each time !!
He had me off the line and pulled a good car length on me but once we got into 3rd i pulled it back, he'd just 'thrown' it together as well, sure with a bit time spent doing a decent job you could get it to do pretty well up the 1/4 mile ... he did say it didn't like going around bends tho !!

Rich

Adam
08-09-07, 07:26 PM
Suprising that.
Maybe because NA doesn't have a big wack of torque coming in loosing traction.

R1CH
08-09-07, 07:33 PM
Suprising that.
Maybe because NA doesn't have a big wack of torque coming in loosing traction.

Aye probably, said it wasn't to difficult to fit really (was running F20), it wasn't as tight in the bay as i thought either.

Rich

Philsutton
08-09-07, 07:58 PM
To be honest I probably have more weight over the fronts wheel than a corsa with a V6 due to the F28, intercooler an the rest of things. Can get it to handle but at the same time why bother when you get a let a hell of a lot faster easier.

blue_peg_16v
08-09-07, 09:56 PM
totaly agree beat a v6 nova at york with the saloon before i even fitted the carbs (was a standard engine with cams) i have a vectra gsi as my mrs daily runner and although the engine sounds nice thats all id say about it, the v6 in my opinion is a lazy engine and you have to keep it up the rev range to get the best out of it. a valver point to point on an a road scramble would kill it and as for a let bye bye, if the engine was good there would be more nova running them at the end of the day the engines arnt dear now a days, also now of some on who put a 3.0 v6 in a nova saloon on throttle boddie but couldnt get it to run right

mowgli
08-09-07, 10:54 PM
the thing about turbo engines is the fact that you must cram an intercooler & all sorts of plumbing in to get it to work.
it is quite easy to get 200hp out of 2.5litres. & it will be easily driveable.
Why fit an f20? surely the 2.5 box must have an lsd fitted?

Philsutton
09-09-07, 10:53 AM
no vauxhall came with an lsd fwd as far as im aware, its what they do best.

blue_peg_16v
09-09-07, 12:29 PM
the only vectra fitted with an lsd was the st200 and i dont think youll find one of those being broken, a comon mod on vectras is to fit an f28 6 speed box as the ratios on the standard box are pants an f20 has better ratios than the 2.5 box and the lighter xe fly wheel will help it spin up a bit quicker

staggy_gsi
09-09-07, 03:35 PM
all the v6's ive ever driven dont really seem to pick up until about 3500-4000 rpm. id still be well up for putting one in a nova though, makes a change from looking at XE's and LET's lol

carls nova sri
09-09-07, 03:42 PM
so what is the best engine for a nova for handling and power

Mazz
09-09-07, 05:42 PM
Its a rare sight to see, and V6 engines are nice and cheap at the minute :)

..and sound ruddy geougous aswell :)

...why bother when you get a let a hell of a lot faster easier.

But for a few hundred quid you can get 2.5 to 200bhp with ease...3.0 cams, an enlarged TB etc and throw in a lightened flywheels and you laughing..

TBH, I don't think there would be much difference between a XE and a V6 Nova, due to the extra weight of the V6, but it would be worth doing for the noise imo :) Do it Mike!

Mazz
09-09-07, 05:44 PM
all the v6's ive ever driven dont really seem to pick up until about 3500-4000 rpm. id still be well up for putting one in a nova though, makes a change from looking at XE's and LET's lol

That's due to the flywheel, in a standard V6 its weigh's in aeound 15-16kg, and a Courtenay lightened one is 5.5-6kg! You would loose some top end, but gain loads of acceleration..

P Whack
10-09-07, 01:06 PM
Well my mate used to won a 2.5 v6 saloon and 1 of his mates had a xe and the v6 just smoked it everywhere, i am in the process of sourcing a v6 lump for my motor or possibly something else which you guys wouldnt have thought about or dont rate

Mike
10-09-07, 01:22 PM
ok, just to reiterate an educate a little, I know for a fact that a new v6 from a Vectra will not fit a Nova, so id be using a Cav/Calibra item, as Mazz said with 3.0 cams (which come as standard in a ST200 Vec)

Id use an F20, to keep cost and space down, an no, NO Vectra comes with a diff, the V6 Vec range has traction control, but no diff same as the older Cav/Calibra V6's.

200bhp+ is easily obtainable from a v6 engine made up of parts from a scrappies, and would cost me so so much less then LET'ing my Nova.

Question is, can i be @rsed lol

P Whack
10-09-07, 01:54 PM
yes you can cause i will be doing it lol

Mike
10-09-07, 02:55 PM
yes you can cause i will be doing it lol

if its the Eco Tec V6 your in for copias hours of fun....... and headaches :thumb:

blue_peg_16v
14-09-07, 08:34 PM
ok, just to reiterate an educate a little, I know for a fact that a new v6 from a Vectra will not fit a Nova, so id be using a Cav/Calibra item, as Mazz said with 3.0 cams (which come as standard in a ST200 Vec)

Id use an F20, to keep cost and space down, an no, NO Vectra comes with a diff, the V6 Vec range has traction control, but no diff same as the older Cav/Calibra V6's.

200bhp+ is easily obtainable from a v6 engine made up of parts from a scrappies, and would cost me so so much less then LET'ing my Nova.

Question is, can i be @rsed lol

st200 had a diff but they only made about 28 of em also had ap four pots

Mike
16-09-07, 01:00 PM
st200 had a diff but they only made about 28 of em also had ap four pots

And Koni adjustables all round :thumb: