PDA

View Full Version : Another bad day for the nova..

Steve
07-09-07, 10:33 AM
Well I was about to start up a project page for my a-reg but I guess not after what happened last night!

Was about 2 mins away from my house on the way home, about to go left at a roundabout when the guy next to me in the left lane decided he wanted to go straight on and whacked into the passenger side!

Hopefully going to claim off him as he was in the wrong, but had to limp the car home as theres a major knocking in the steering, bent up front wing, the mirror fell off and a series of dents in the rear arch!

Just when the car was close to being finished ive gotta start over again :roll:

Will get some pics up later as im off to work now.

Cormac
07-09-07, 11:09 AM
sorry to hear this mate, doesnt sound a write off so hopefuly wont take much to be fixed up again!!

Mike
07-09-07, 11:33 AM
sounds repairable tbh mate

Mines got a bent syll and needs a new roof skin after its stolen recovery mission and im reparing that lol

craig green
07-09-07, 11:57 AM
Prolly a bent TCA (bottom arm) or knackered bottom ball joint perhaps..

Claim off the mofo!

Stanley
07-09-07, 03:05 PM
What lanes were you and the other vehicle in?

Steve
07-09-07, 05:50 PM
He was in the left and I was in the right

puss puss
07-09-07, 06:05 PM
claim time XD

Steve
08-09-07, 10:40 AM
Well been out for a closer inspection last night and the knocking turned out to be the inner weight s of the alloy catching on the track rod end!

Put my 'spare' 15" on and its ok but when the steerings straight the passenger sides pointing outwards, had a good pull/check on all all steering parts and nothings loose so hopefully its not too bad, well, mechanically anyway. Had a quick drive down the road and besides the obvious of it pulling harshly to the left, theres no knocking or bad noises.

The body work though:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/07-09-07_1048.jpg http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/07-09-07_1049.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/07-09-07_1047.jpg http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/07-09-07_1050.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/07-09-07_1051.jpg http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/08-09-07_1040.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/A-reg/A-reg%20repairs/08-09-07_1039.jpg

Well you cant see too clearly from the pics but passenger wheel has some serious tow out! But it shows how much the front wing's gone in.

Only problem is the rear arch has partly separated from the inner arch, so the bodywork alone could easily write it off.

Jack
08-09-07, 06:17 PM
Judging by just the bodywork, thats a write off. And I doubt the other guy will want to settle privately :(

Spudly
08-09-07, 06:36 PM
Looking at the picture of it with the other alloy on it looks like the bottom arm is bent as the wheel seems to be too far back in the arch to me, dont let her be written off though as looks rather clean and tidy from here!!

Philsutton
08-09-07, 08:19 PM
definately a write off if you go to insurance, they will write a nova off if you just break the fag lighter.

big gra
08-09-07, 09:50 PM
its repairable but the insurance will class it as an "uneconomical repair",, or in other words the repair would be more than the car is worth!

dj_wudgey
09-09-07, 11:51 AM
oh no way gutted mate that looked well nice from the pics like dont write another mk1 off lol

Eastham
09-09-07, 12:13 PM
Try and see if you can get a contract repair through the insurance. We have done loads of these.

Steve
09-09-07, 05:07 PM
its repairable but the insurance will class it as an "uneconomical repair",, or in other words the repair would be more than the car is worth!
Exactly what I was thinking, not sure whether it'd be easier/ cheaper to repair it myself.

Try and see if you can get a contract repair through the insurance. We have done loads of these.
Whats the difference then? Either way im sure putting a new rear 1/4 on will write it off.

On another note been out for further inspection today, and re-adjusted the tracking by eye, and its lost all the slack that was there before so Iam hoping the rack isnt buggered, and at least it drives straight.

The suspension on the other hand - well I suspect the shocks are knackered as it does have a bit of re-bounce on it that wasnt there before.

Steve
10-09-07, 04:16 PM
Advice needed here, as I dont really wont to loose 4 years no claims, would I be best off have the repairs done myself or go through the insurance and most likely have the car written off?

Riggy
10-09-07, 04:38 PM
yeah that would be written off , i personall wouldnt claim , because if you do you will loose 2 yrs min ncb ,your car will be written of which if you are fully comp you will get ?300 max and your insurance next yr will be higher ,

as said i doubt the other person will want to settle private but it maybe worth asking for a little sweetner towards your repair , as he is goin to loose ncb etc aswell

it a **** postion but there isnt much you can do really

Eastham
11-09-07, 12:55 PM
If its there fault you wont lose your ncb. You wont be claiming through your insurance. It will be his insurance that gets the bill.
Contract repair is where the insurance company give you a price to see if you can get it fixed for that amount.

loggyboy
11-09-07, 01:11 PM
At best it would go 50 50, but as your in the right lane turning left its likely to go in favour of him.

Jack
11-09-07, 02:58 PM
Loggyboy has a point. Insurance may well see it as you cutting him up - as you came across his lane and the damage is towards the front of your car they'll see it more that you drove across and into him, rather than him driving into you.

Steve
11-09-07, 07:50 PM
Even the police at the scene said he should of been in the right lane, as he was intending on going all the way round the roundabout in the left lane, also its not a massive roundabout so it should have been fairly obvious to him.

Then again he was a foreigner and probably not used to our lanes.

Lee
11-09-07, 07:55 PM
TBH in my experience if theres even a small dispute the police will call a 50 50 just to save any detective work being done. lazy bastids.

loggyboy
12-09-07, 01:37 AM
My gf is going thru a near identical claim and is really struggling to get better than 50/50

search for case law on GRACE Vs TANNER.

Steve
12-09-07, 06:26 PM
Well ive just won a new wing off egay and I think im just gonna take the car off the road for a while and get it properly sorted.

Besides the accident damage it needs the passenger sill doing and the underneath needs de-undersealing as its covering up some rot, hopefully not too much though, oh yeah then gotta get the passenger front arch/ footwell welded as thats leaking.

Still not heard back from college yet either as my course for vehicle body repairs just started and im still waiting to see if ive even got a place on it!