PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the X22XE instead of C20XE

Andy_L
07-09-07, 08:57 AM
Sorry if I've got the engine code wrong, one I'm on about is the 2.2 150BHP as came in Vectra's and VX220 (OR is that a different engine again???)

Anyway's if I think I understand a small part of things, you could de stroke it to a 2000CC and that would make it rev more and be more suitable for track days?? Then presumably you'd be able to get some fairly decent power out of it??

So is it a better alternative to the trusty C20XE?? I.E the future?

peester
07-09-07, 09:07 AM
tbf, stuart may know a bit about this engine; but also look for lee303 (lee hear sey) on migweb - he should know a fair bit..
I think your main problem is gonna be with wiring; (multiplex) unless you run it on aftermarket management; then you stand a chance of it working..
Am i right in thinking its all-alloy? top & bottom end??

Andy_L
07-09-07, 09:31 AM
It's more of an idea in my head than anything.

With the price of after marktet management getting cheaper I think it would be stupid NOT to go that way even if you went for a budget management like Megasquirt - which would do a decent job I'm sure.

Stuart
07-09-07, 09:48 AM
its a Z22SE, the chain driven 2.2 global engine (used in the USA a lot)
Its known as the L61 in the US.

If you google for the GM sport compact performance manual you should find a 30meg pdf on how to build upto 1200bhp lol.

you can destroke it to 2.0 as this means it can rev (as std its got a long ass stroke so wont rev freely). Cranks and other parts are cheap as chips from the USA.

only thing to point out is that in europe, the throttle on the z22se is an electronic one which is a fcuking pain in the **** for stand alone management since there are no affordable standalones that can run an ETB (im working on a stand alone ETB driver but my time is fairly well diluted at the moment)

there are no ITB manifolds for the engine, there are no direct to heat ITB's, exhaust manifolds are few and far between in the UK/Europe. Regal/TMS/courtenay will sell you stuff but its even more of a reaming than they usually give you.

You can put a 2.4 inlet manifold + TB + cams + head work and get 200bhp easily which is what im going to try for over the next 12 months or so (although ive got specs for a 350bhp S/C conversion but the heat in the back of the vx is an issue)

Stuart
07-09-07, 09:55 AM
forgot to add,

Its all ally, very light and uber torquey. Would be an excellent engine in a nova imho. But getting one might cost a lot as its still "new" despite them being 6-7 years old in some cases.

There are small niggles like early ones had a small oil jet for the chain lubrication which caused the jet to block and snap the chain on 41Kmiles. But a ?100 chain kit from Autovaux fixes that unless vauxhall have done the rework.

The head can crack on cylinder 1 and 4 if you over tighten the spark plugs (even jsut a tiny bit... so much so im scared to remove mine lmao)
Other than that its pretty bomb proof.

the F23 gearbox is ace too as its cable shift meaning naff all linkage rubbish mess with and more space to play with in the bay (possibly)

Riggy
07-09-07, 09:58 AM
lol you need to stick it in the front then stu lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/riggy4/26042007316.jpg

but seriously , what 2.4 inlet /TB and cams will fit , might tempt myself aswell :thumb:

craig green
07-09-07, 09:59 AM
Do you think the exhaust manifold would run clear out the back of a Nova bay?

Thats the main issue I'd foresee, initially.

There was a supercharged one in a Corsa in TV a few months back if anyone remembers?

Riggy
07-09-07, 10:09 AM
yeah the white corsa , did look quite funky , im sure he did say it was a nightmare to fit ,

but im sure the first XE's were to aswell , untill you know what you have to do :thumb:

Stuart
07-09-07, 10:10 AM
not read TV since Jims feature lol.

there has been a 2.4 version of the engine released in the US and the inlet ALONE gives a 10-13bhp gain... its about ?150 to get one here too lol.

on the z22se.co.uk forum there is a lot of stuff in the tuning section from Vocky about the 2.4 mods. hes upto about 210bhp with a "remap" and inlet, tb, cams, headwork and exhaust.

peester
07-09-07, 10:10 AM
There was a supercharged one in a Corsa in TV a few months back if anyone remembers?

aye - that'de worth chasing..

Saloony
07-09-07, 01:30 PM
Look out, the Z22SE will soon see out the c20 in my opinion.

Adam
07-09-07, 03:56 PM
Tbh, it seems a lot more work over a 20xe, just to be "different"

tom_beverley
07-09-07, 04:09 PM
Look out, the Z22SE will soon see out the c20 in my opinion.

I agree, its just not many conversions have been done yet so there is not much information.

Andy_L
07-09-07, 04:17 PM
Tbh, it seems a lot more work over a 20xe, just to be "different"

Well yes that's very true.

Look it's just a pipe dream at the moment lol (If I pass my accounting exams it may become a reality)

From what Stuart has said 200BHP is fairly easy to achieve without Throttle Bodies, which you'd need on the XE (Or am I talking poo here??)

Saloony
15-09-07, 04:50 PM
Nah you right there fella. Personally i wouldnt sleeve the 2.2 to make it revvy. Its quite a free engine as it is, and i think you'll loose the biggest asset this engine has, its torque, not much on paper but drive and astra or vx with one in and you'll see what im on about, 2500rpm right round to 5000rpm its pushing you into you seat.

Andy_L
15-09-07, 04:56 PM
Ah well I'll have to drive a few if I ever get my exams out the way.

I'd certainly keep it at 2.2 if it was going to be a combined road/track use.

muzzy
15-09-07, 07:19 PM
the 2.2 supercharged corsa was built and is owned by a guy i used to work with at vauxhall. obviously the mounts had to be custom made and i think that the main problem with it all was waiting for parts and the wiring was supposed to be a complete nightmare because obviously nobody had done it before. It was worth it for being a unique transplant but i cant comment on performance because i dont know

Stuart
15-09-07, 09:38 PM
in esscence the z22 wiring in a nova would be "the same as" the VX220 as they are technically the same when it comes to bare essentials.

Ill dig the link out for the wiring diagrams later ;)

Lee
15-09-07, 09:44 PM
Im guessing direct to head TB's from a C20 wont mate up to the Z22?

Goddam direct to head fapping TB's.

Stuart
15-09-07, 10:52 PM
correct. the Z22se has some bizzar ports, more like Duratec ports really (they were the closest size/shape/port space I could find when looking)