PDA

View Full Version : tunning

boyracer7
15-05-02, 12:09 AM
whats the cheapest way to make ur nova quicker apart from putting a 2 l engine in it....i want my nova to be f***ing rapid...

CP
15-05-02, 09:45 AM
There is no "cheap way"
2.0l conversions (130 -200hp plus)(upto 300hp for a tuned 2.0l turbo) pack in a load of horsepower in 1 go but at the expense of making the car front heavy.
1.6 are OK but only 100hp as std. To do the 8v up you need to go for simialr to twin 40's and extensive mods to head etc.= Upto 150hp. You can mod up the injection but it means major work to inlet manifold with larger throttle body, performance engine management system etc etc not to mention big head work.
1.4 8v (80 ish hp std)can be tuned in a similar fashion. Upto 120-130hp.
These days there are also the options of 1.6 and 1.4 valvers out of Corsas,Astras etc. Not all that powerful as std (ecotec shit) but great head capable of giving big horsepower and well hard bottom end capable of taking everything you throw at it and more.
Finally there are 1.6 turbo's but the head gasket/boost pressure relationship can be problematical if you try to get some serious boost on.

To be honest all these require '000's to get right. Then you've got to uprate the suspension and wheels to get round corners and brakes to stop before them.

Personally if I was on a budget I would approach it by:
1. Stripping it right out. The cheapest way to improve performance is to lose weight.
2. Do relatievly minor mods eg zorst.
3. Add nitrous. For less than a grand you can add the latest design. If you have got a 1.4 or 1.6 I reckon you could safely try a 50hp jet without worrying about over stretching the engine ( assuming that its in good nick in the first place)A good one of these engines would prob. be OK with a 75hp jetc providing it was setup right.
4. Make sure you've done a brake conversion and put a suspension kit on.

ade
15-05-02, 10:17 PM
wot engine have you got? :-/
Like the man said - depends on yer budget aswell. Mo cash the more "rapid" it will be.

U thinking BIG or just want something to tear around in then wrap around a lamp post?