PDA

View Full Version : SR Non-Start

Olli2004
06-09-07, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me. My friends Nova has been sat for a while and I am thinkin of buying it off him the problem is...

The car wont start. It cranks fine but then doesn't start.

Any ideas??? It's a J reg 1.4 SR.

Cheers for any help :)

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 09:51 PM
It either doesnt fuel, doesnt spark, or doesnt compress.

Or a combination of the above, we need more information. Turn it over, take a spark plug out, see if its wet, if its dry then its not fuelling.

with said spark plug still out, plug it back into the HT lead and hold the spark plug by the insulation (with a glove), near the engine, and see if you get a spark jumping across.

If you do get a spark then take a compression tester to it and tell us the results.

Olli2004
06-09-07, 10:07 PM
Just rung my mate up and he says that it did run the last time he tried it which was around 2 months ago. He said that when he started it up he could smell fuel but then the smell went.

He also said that he had heard the fuel pumps seize on them or something?

If this is no more help I'll try what you suggested.

Cheers

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 10:13 PM
Where are you from? I have a spare fuel pump or 2.

Olli2004
06-09-07, 10:34 PM
I'm located in Leeds mate. Is the fuel pump fault common on the Nova SR's?

Where is the fuel pump located on the Nova SR's? If its only slightly seized could I not just give it a few taps with a hammer to see if this free's it off?

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 10:38 PM
Its on the drivers side end of the rear face of the cam housing (top of the engine). Some of them are fairly easy to strip and clean out.

You can see mine between my airbox and cambelt cover in this pic:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/engineswap/S5000742.JPG

Olli2004
06-09-07, 11:18 PM
Cheers for the info mate. I'll have a look at the fuel pump and carry out the other checks you said and I'll let you know how I get on.

Adam
06-09-07, 11:37 PM
Check the rotor arm turns when you turn the engine over.

Olli2004
09-09-07, 06:40 PM
Cheers for the rotor arm info mate.

I've still got the other stuff to check as I havent had time but I'll let you know the verdict.

Nova_Tek
10-09-07, 06:09 PM
My nova had the same issue it would turn over fine but would not fire up. When a little fuel was poured into the carb it would fire up then stall.

In the end it was the fuel hoses to the pump that had perished and leaked. Two new hoses later she was perfect.