PDA

View Full Version : Braided brake lines.

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 12:06 PM
I dropped my car off at the garage this morning to have my Goodridge braided flexi lines fitted, and they've just called me to say that they are only suitable for lowered cars. Is this true?

Thanks.

Dar
06-09-07, 12:12 PM
What was their reasoning?
Do they think they are too short or something. I've never heard of that before and ran my Goodridge hoses when it was hardly lowered at all. Sounds like total bollocks to me.

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 12:18 PM
Thanks Dar,

They said they are too short and hence will be dangerous. I've asked them to get back to me with a price for a new rubber set, as the current ones on there are starting to crack.

I'll probably get them to fit a new rubber set anyway as the connections are quite corroded and it looks like a f***er of a job lol, but should be much easier for me to replace once they've already been done.

garyc
06-09-07, 12:35 PM
I've got them fitted and my back end is quite high up, no problems at all. I'd fit them your self, it OK as long as you can get the unions undone!

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 12:36 PM
Cheers guys, I'll get my dad to give them a visit then I think to get the braided ones fitted as I'm in work.

Adam
06-09-07, 01:10 PM
It sounds like they cba attack the rusted union bolts to me lol

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 01:21 PM
Apparently some of the copper lines need replacing as they're twisting/tearing. They probably could counter that but I know the ones on the rear beam were badly corroded anyway, so I'll see what happens when I get it back tonight.

Dad's just been there and apparently the rear goodridge lines are the same size as the normal ones, but the front ones are 2" shorter. Its up on the ramps rather than on a jack so dad couldnt check if they still reach at full travel.

Welsh Dan
06-09-07, 08:10 PM
Right, the copper lines running from the master cylinder to the rear have been replaced, along with the copper lines on the rear beam. Am I likely to cause any harm by spraying the new unions (not the rubber, I will mask that off), with underbody seal?

Iain
06-09-07, 08:13 PM
(I know we've already talked about this on Messenger Xen0)

What the garage are saying is very feasible, I've had a right ballache and failed an MOT on the front Goodridge brake lines. They're shorter than the standard lines by quite a lot and are very difficult to tie out of the way of the chassis - this was with 50mm lowering too.

Lee
06-09-07, 08:21 PM
Thats really odd, mine is lowered probably 50mm and the lines have loads of slack on the front end.

Ash
06-09-07, 09:11 PM
Mine are fine, surely it doesn't matter if its lowered or not, as when you fit them the suspenion isn't compressed :confused: their either fit or won't.

I know corsa ones are about 20mm longer as they have longer lower arms, etc.