PDA

View Full Version : petrol tank question

benthehash
04-09-07, 06:20 PM
just taken my tank out the sr and was half full.

i tiped it up to empty it and it has a ball to stop the fuel comong out the filling hole. so i stuck a screwdriver in to move the ball and empty the tank which worked.

but now the balls rolling round the tank is this right?:roll:

i think i might have pushed it out of a retaining clip??? or does that just stop the ball leaving the tank??????

cheers ben

Adam
04-09-07, 06:40 PM
You've pushed the ball out the cage.
It stops people syphoning your petrol out.
And stops petrol flying up the filler tube when you corner.
It is needed.

Remove the cage out the filler neck(it just pulls out) and see if you can get the ball out the hole.

benthehash
04-09-07, 07:24 PM
thanks just brushed it down and sprayed it.
when i emptyed the tank out loads of crap came out with the fuel is it worth pressure washing the tank out when the paints dry? the inside has months to dry out or will this just cause more rust? i could get the air line on it

mowgli
04-09-07, 09:19 PM
there is a firm called frost. they advertise in the classic mags. they do a fuel tank paint specially for the inside.

Pigeonrat9
07-09-07, 05:27 PM
You've pushed the ball out the cage.
It stops people syphoning your petrol out.
And stops petrol flying up the filler tube when you corner.
It is needed.

Remove the cage out the filler neck(it just pulls out) and see if you can get the ball out the hole.

Bloody hell, that's what that rattling sound in my tank is! :eek: :eek:And there's a smell of petrol every time I go round a left-hand bend!

Sorry to hijack the thread but for months I've been mucking about with new filler caps and seals and getting really pi**ed off, not having a clue what it was. Thanks so much!

benthehash
12-09-07, 06:24 PM
you got your ball out yet i'm just going out to try and do mine. i've cleaned the whole underneath of the car with wire wheel and am painting with hammer rite black the tanks white gana look mint i HATE rust!

dannyb
12-09-07, 06:34 PM
there is a firm called frost. they advertise in the classic mags. they do a fuel tank paint specially for the inside.

We used some of this on our 30's car. Its easy to apply (pour in and shakes, then turn tank) and it is an extra preventative layer against contamination or leaks.
Make sure ball is in the cage before you re assemble the tank too. In the unfortunate event of turning the car over, the last thing you want is petrol running out everywhere.

Pigeonrat9
14-09-07, 09:21 AM
you got your ball out yet i'm just going out to try and do mine. i've cleaned the whole underneath of the car with wire wheel and am painting with hammer rite black the tanks white gana look mint i HATE rust!

No, the car's going off the road in a few months so I haven't bothered. Might see if I can get another ball and cage to go in it in the meantime, but since mine has ended up in the tank I don't know what the assembly looks like yet and how easy it is to do.
Hammerite's great for this sort of thing but unfortunately my Nova's already lost the battle with rust, hence it coming off the road... :mad:

damo2007
14-09-07, 11:57 AM
We used some of this on our 30's car. Its easy to apply (pour in and shakes, then turn tank) and it is an extra preventative layer against contamination or leaks.

what is the name of this stuff man where can it be gotton?

dannyb
14-09-07, 04:12 PM
what is the name of this stuff man where can it be gotton?

here you go mate

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8232&frostProductName=Fuel%20Tank%20Sealer%20(US%20Quar t,%20946ml)%20%20&catID=25&frostCat=Tanks&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

damo2007
14-09-07, 04:37 PM
:D cheers

Lee
14-09-07, 04:38 PM
You may find it easier to get the ball out by taking the fuel level sender out, and playing 'crystal maze' lol

Bear in mind the ball has to go back on from the back though, so you still need to take the cage out as well.

benthehash
18-09-07, 05:42 PM
why does it have to go on from the back cant i just take it out the sender hole and push in from the outsde?

Lee
18-09-07, 05:51 PM
Nope, as it is designed not to let the ball fall out from the front, so it wont let it back in that way either.

Adam
18-09-07, 05:51 PM
The cage just pulls out with pliers anyway.
The ball only fits from the inside.