PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - >>>>>Technical

Damian Coull
09-05-02, 02:20 PM
What reason could there possibly be for oil to be getting into the airflow meter ?

My car (2.0l 8v cav engine) is running like a piece of shit, its firing on only 2 cylinders (1 and 4). I have checked plugs, leads, distributor, injectors and all are fine. The compression in 2 and 3 is 90 compared to 180 in 1 and 4. the timing is spot on. I had a reconditioned bottom end only 6 months ago and the top end was fully rebuilt at the same time.

What the hell could be wrong with it ?

ade
09-05-02, 05:30 PM
could it be head gasket? Only a guess mind. Rebuild may have contaminated gasket and it now failed. Again only a guess?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

CP
10-05-02, 12:28 AM
Head gasket gone mate.
Get a Vaux one. Make sure b4 you start to torque it back down that you have gone round all the head bolts at least twice to nip the cam and valves spring assembly down level b4 starting the torque sequence. Next do the same with the initial torque setting to make sure you get it all even b4 doing the final sequence. I actual give them a few degrees more to make sure that the gasket doesn't blow again.
Did you have the head skimmed originally? If not get an engineers level on it to check it's true.

Dicko
10-05-02, 01:18 AM
wel cp's right about the gasket, but oil in airflow meter. isnt the oil breather pipe conected to that!!!
unless u mean loads and loads then dont worry, same on all cars m8

Damian Coull
10-05-02, 08:49 AM
there was about (only a rough guess) 2 shot glasses worth of oil in the air flow meter and pipe.

I have checked the obvious signs for head gasket (oil in water, water in oil, white gunk on filler cap, water out of exhaust) the only symptom it has is it smokes from exhaust.

What other reasons could there be for low compression / firing on 2 ?

I really don't want to have to tkae the head off AGAIN unless its 100% neccesary. As soon as I touch the head its cost me ?80. .. Skim, Head Gasket, Head Bolts and Cam belt, if I do all that and its not the head gasket i'm going to be pissed ! As i've done it only recently.

Could it be anything else ? ECU playing up ? Piston Rings ? Valves .... Just guessing here ?

Stuart
10-05-02, 09:47 AM
Valve stem oil seals or failed oil control rings

BEng (hons) just isnt enough, i need a Msc too!

ade
10-05-02, 01:28 PM
my 1.2(:D) was smokin like a king willies rasta car in preditor2 - took it to a garage and they said valve stem oil seals had gone. Dunno whether its easy to change em without tearing engine apart (again not engine minded).

Ade

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

pukka-novasr
10-05-02, 04:26 PM
valves aint sittin properply bent etc maybe, thats wat was wrong wiv mine and i had low comp and werent firin on the ones the valves were bent, it only took me 3 goes of takin the head on and off to fig out the prob. v.costly

Damian Coull
13-05-02, 10:21 AM
sorted !! it was the gasket, gone between pot 2 and 3. Put it down to fan not working and engine got too hot and gasket blew.

New gasket, skim, head bolts, cam belt and its sorted !