PDA

View Full Version : End of a doors life

noknok
04-09-07, 02:03 PM
Would appreciate some advice on my passenger side door (see pics) it has rust bubbles all along the top and a 5 pence peice size blister; the bottom corner has rust bubbles also.

I'm assuming best way to stop the rot is by getting a 2nd hand door from a scrapper or a new door from opel (just been reading Keiths' toils).

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/john_oconnor00/04092007338.jpg

I guess I just wondered if this door will ever be the same. I'm a complete novice as I've never tackled rust repair before but assume damage me be worse inside and therefore past repair?

The pillar has surface rust, I guess this could be sorted with minmal fuss?

If a new/2nd hand door is found I guess to repaint etc will be expensive, something I cant afford right now, any ideas how much that might be if taken to a decent sprayer. Shame the car is brought down by this one door!

Your thought please.

craig green
04-09-07, 03:44 PM
You could bodge anything with filler & fibreglass esp seeing as a door is non structural. but inevitably it always returns (rust).

Put a new/2nd hand door on it. Beating the pins out is a tad tricky but is do able with a mate to steady the door as it hangs by 1 hinge.

Swapping glass is a tad tricky too, but do-able.

I once tarted up a door for a show, by filling the rust hole with filler & then covering with masking tape & spraying that flame Red. You'd never have known (from a distance) LOL.

Rich
04-09-07, 08:01 PM
On my old doors i sprayed over the rust, it was only at the bottom but it really did hide it until it got worse lol

Matt2107
04-09-07, 08:10 PM
Never seen one rust like that before.

It's normally at the bottom where the drain plugs get blocked.

noknok
05-09-07, 10:35 AM
There is a small patch on the corner but I think most of the top side rust is caused by the rubber sealing strip at the top being weather worn/cracked. It's basiscally lost it's seal so nasty rain worming it's way in !

I expect a repair job on that crease would be a real challenge. Does anyone know what a re-spray job cost on a 2nd hand door?

Riggy
05-09-07, 10:45 AM
about ?80 per pannel round here for a half decent job

craig green
05-09-07, 10:50 AM
Aye. Just the one panel on its own will be that kind of price.

Only one way to know for sure, get a quote from a few body shops.

noknok
05-09-07, 10:53 AM
Thanks to all, appreciated as always.

craig green
05-09-07, 11:04 AM
Where you from in Somerset mate?

noknok
05-09-07, 11:59 AM
In between moving house but from a small village off M5, south of Bristol North of Weston-S-Mare, near Clevedon if you know it.

Where abouts are you? I see you're from Gods county too ! ;)

craig green
05-09-07, 01:32 PM
Bridgwater mate. Off junction 23.

Join the club & come to some meets.

noknok
05-09-07, 01:49 PM
Might take you up on that. I did try and get to a Cheltenham a while back but couldn't make it.

noknok
05-09-07, 02:17 PM
I bought my GTE very cheap in an emergency as my last car died on me.

I never ever wanted a Nova, it was just to get me from A-B...why now am I starting to care about it's condition, waxing it and dreaming of a lovely rust free door; it's just my daily runner after all isn't it?! Have I gone mad? Now considering going to a meet. My wife thinks I'm sad. I'm not am I ???!!!