PDA

View Full Version : BT's Nova, It lives! But for how long?

Dar
04-09-07, 01:27 PM
We have been having fun with BT's car of late. Those of you that went to Llandow will remember how is sounded at the end of the day. For those of you that wern't there it sounded like we had installed a drummer and he was playing a really bad drum solo loud! Anyway we had a gander at the ole girl the other day and decided that a few of the hydrolic lifters were kaput! I had a brandest newest set sitting in my garage so we decided to replace all of the old ones.

Then we fired her up again. Ahh the sweet sound of a smooth non tappy idle. So simles all round until we bliped the throttle and....whats that odd noise?

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/64/99/23489964.jpg
Oh bugger! However the lifters were now nice and quite. So problem 1 sorted, time to find problem 2.

After a bit of head scratching and guess work we decided that since BT buzzed the engine at Llandow it could have had some valve/piston contact that slightly bent a valve. We thought it all fitted nicely - Hydrolic lifter broken because it pumped up and the piston hit a valve breaking the lifter and slightly bending the valve. We were on a seriously tight timescale and didn't have time to take the head off to see for ourselfs. So the plan of attack was I would build up my spare head in the day and then fit it in the evening.

WE HAD A PLAN!
So I spent the morning ordering parts for the head. Then went back home to clean it up. The head came off of an engine that was in bits and very grubby. So I had a fair ammount of work to do and not alot of time. At around 3pm I started to build the head well I say started to build, I was still cleaning some of the parts, but I had everything I needed. I found out that evening that building up a head takes AGES! Especially one with 16 valves. Anyway Mr Lee turned up and started posting on here whilst I was sat in the garage grinding in the valves. Chris then turned up with the babysitter (I was supposed to be looking after my kids and Lee is a scary babysitter!). Both Chris and Lee went off to the barn to start taking the head off. All was going to plan! and the kids were loving 'Socket' our new babysitter. I was also enjoying the new babysitter since she was a she and not a shemale and also made me coffie.

Then the phone call came:( I had ground in all the valves and fitted a fair few of them. "Dar, guess what!", "What?", "It's not a bent valve, the head is fine". ****, ****, biatch!:mad: Well I was most of the way through building this sodding head I might as well finish the *******!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/PNG/DSC07250.jpg
"So what is it then?", "Well Chris just pushed down on piston No:4 and the bugger moved!", "Oh!, well you might as well take it out and bring it down then and we will have a gander at it."
When it arrived the shells were a bit, err, well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/PNG/DSC07253.jpg
Not good. You can't really see it but they are not only scored to buggery but they have been flattened out and are about 1-2mm wider in the middles. The con rod had a piece of metal wedged in the oil way, I still haven't managed to get it out! So we swaped the con rod over and used the old shells that were in it (They were ok). Mr Lee and Chris played tiddly winks with the cir-clips that sit at either end of the gudgeon pin. I had to phone my dad to borrow the tool to help us put the piston back in the bore. At this point I was told not to bother since the crank is going to be knackered. But we thought sod it, we will build it back up and see how long it lasts (Thinking about a sweep stake;) ).

So it was about 9:30pm and we had an engine with three pistons in and the head off sitting at the barn and it had to be finished that night:eek: Oh and Lee's tool kit consisted of a bent screwdriver a socket set with a knackered extension and a few other random items! So we armed ourselfs with some

http://www.beerstore.com.au/beerstore/uploads/beerImages/Carling_Black_Ale_L.jpg
and headed off to the barn. Not many if any piccys were taken becuase we were on a mission. Not alot of amusing stuff happened except both Me and Chris dropping stuff on Me Lee whilst he was trying to put the sump back onlol Anyway we got stuck in to buildin the thing back up and we had finished by 12:30ish Quite chuffed with that result.

We couldn't start it because it was so late. So that honour was left to me this morning. So I started it and it ran. The lifters quitened down quickly and I gave it a few test revs......It didn't blow up.
Rubbish vid of it running (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6172313657522223921&hl=en-GB)
So I let it warm up and then went for a few more test revs, but even higher this time. I held it at 4,500rpm and then bliped it a few times.......It didn't blow up!

So it runs, but I think thicker oil is needed. This can be done on friday though. So BT you can go to the ball...err Eurofest. I don't think its going to last long, so if your behind him make sure you stay to one side.

I reckon it will last two laps, however I really hope it lasts all day long:thumb:

Lynsey
04-09-07, 01:35 PM
lol Aww, poor Lee! I hope it lasts longer than 2 laps though... I hope it lasts all day :D There is that lil village near Combe called Tiddlywink, so if it breaks he can retire there for the day and do round 2 ;)

craig green
04-09-07, 01:35 PM
Team spirit!

Well done lads. I'm going to be spectating Combe so fingers crossed eh?

Stuart
04-09-07, 02:27 PM
hmmm If Lee is likely to vent engine parts as per his hobby, I may have to go infront lol

dhdev (Oli)
04-09-07, 02:51 PM
hmmm If Lee is likely to vent engine parts as per his hobby, I may have to go infront lol
What happens when we come round to lap him tho :confused:

lol

ANDYRACER
04-09-07, 02:58 PM
You best not leave engines bit bedded into my windscreen and front bumper lol

Hope it lasts fella, and will see you there. ;)

p.s. Do you need a helmet at coombe?

Lynsey
04-09-07, 03:08 PM
Yeah you do, but you can hire one on the day.

Stuart
04-09-07, 03:15 PM
mmmm sweaty helmets... nice.

spanishfly
04-09-07, 05:06 PM
Wet sweaty helmets? Andy like big purple ones so i'm told???

Adam
04-09-07, 05:09 PM
Ffs, BT has no luck with engines at all lol

Those shells look nasty :(

Hope it holds together for Combe mate :thumb:

Nick
04-09-07, 06:01 PM
Nice to hear it's sorted lee. It sounded a bit rough by the end of the day !

One of my mates is building a V6 Vectra Track car (ROFL) And had a similar incident on it's maiden voyage.

He stripped the block, had the same piston "clunk". But he was missing 3 Bearing shells completly. they'd ground into a nice brassy pulp in the oil.

Ernie
05-09-07, 01:30 AM
"It's alive" well done lads sorry i couldnt help but as said before im on lates this week.
See you at combe on friday night.
Note to self. Put mesh over front window for when behind Lee.

stuartp
06-09-07, 01:03 AM
whens euro fest. I need to use this forum more and look for things my self.lol
well done lads hope it lasts lee.

stuartp
06-09-07, 01:12 AM
Just found it on the website. Can spectators mince round easy enough, Would mind meeting a few of ya's and watching all the nova's beating french cars.lol
stu

Dar
06-09-07, 09:33 AM
Spectators can wander about as much as anyone whos on a session. The pits area is not closed off or anything like that.

Lee
06-09-07, 04:32 PM
Tank you both for your help, lets hope its not for nothing!

To say my palms wont be sweaty during the first session is a lie, but then this shell seems to reject engines like a bad transplant patient.

I do hope it doesnt explode as that will be embarassing due to the last time I was at combe i launched a slab of crank case the size of florida out the back, but then feck it, ill get to do some freewheel rallying again on the infield.

Its not knocking though, which is a good sign lol. But then it wasnt knocking before the operation. Its odd!

How many points do I get if i land some engine in Stu's passenger seat?

bump
06-09-07, 04:34 PM
How many points do I get if i land some engine in Stu's passenger seat?

37.89 points lol

Ernie
07-09-07, 01:40 AM
As many as you like as long as i aint near you when it goes.If we do a walk again on friday night we should leave some mags in the marshal pit so there is something to read as was a bit boaring there last time lol.