PDA

View Full Version : can the xe be removed via the top

a2lt16v
04-09-07, 09:52 AM
Will i be able to get my xe out of the top of my enigne bay with a crane. It doesnt have a head on it so its a bit smaller. Obviously i would take the bonnet off.

When i put the engine in I lifted the car over the engine but was trying to avoid this so i didnt have to remove exhaust manifold and drive shafts etc i want to do it the quickest way.

i will still have to pull the inputshaft back out the gear box tho unless someone else know another way

Andy_L
04-09-07, 09:54 AM
Yes

craig green
04-09-07, 10:42 AM
I so prefer doing it from underneath, but out the top is easily done.

Benn on MIG is a champion of this method & gets cranky when he see's it going in from the bottom.

Philsutton
04-09-07, 10:51 AM
I always go from underneath, makes your life so much easier trying to split / join the box up in the car.

craig green
04-09-07, 10:53 AM
You can pretty much have the eng, box & shafts ready to jack up into position.

Depending how it came out.....

a2lt16v
04-09-07, 10:56 AM
at the moment its still attached to the gearbox maybe i should take the whole lot out would be a nice excuse to give every thing a good gunking and get it all clean as there is some remains of a split cv boot down there and some some gasket leak and some split water hose rusty water marks down there too

craig green
04-09-07, 10:57 AM
Do it!

[edit] Look in Timmy's WIP thread (GSI) He's dropped his engine out & cleaning up the bay & other bits.

GRUNT 16V
04-09-07, 01:08 PM
Out the bottom!!!!

Adam
04-09-07, 05:05 PM
Under the bottom is miles easier(altho that means having to remove the tie bars etc which can have rusted bolts)
Its just a bit nervy if your hoisting the front of the car 4ft up in the air.

With just the block and box, it should come through the top yeah.

ANDYRACER
04-09-07, 06:47 PM
Threw the bottom is the manly way. ;)

Philsutton
04-09-07, 08:39 PM
taking it out the top is the equivalent of eating a sausage with straw

a2lt16v
05-09-07, 08:02 PM
right im going for the out the bottom method with the engine and gearbox as one. can i leave the shocks and hubs and driveshafts just dangling there or do they need to come off as well

im going to take the manifold out the way and the tie bars obviously

the driveshafts wont get in the way will they

Lee H
06-09-07, 01:55 PM
I changed an XE in a Nova through the top without taking the gearbox out, just had to take the bottom pulley off and the E20 bolt out so I could get the engine far enough across for it to come off the gearbox input shaft.

If its the whole lot though through the bottom is far easier.

You are probably better leaving the shafts in the gearbox and taking them out of the hubs.