PDA

View Full Version : nasty tapping noise?

greg1.4
03-09-07, 08:35 PM
got my nova running tonight eventually after farting about with loads of things.

anyway, it starts great, idles great but is making a loud horrible tapping noise. not just a tapping but like metal going up and down or broken or something. its soo loud and nasty. any ideas?

i have removed the head and the cam box, took the hydraulic lifters out, thrust pads and followers, de-greased and washed carefully trying not to get water in important places (only on outside. i put paper on all the holes etc etc to make sure no water was hitting valves or insides of anything. i did the same with the cam box. i stuffed the inside full with paper.
then i let it dry for 2 nights on top of a boiler in my house and built it back together. i just put everything back the way they came out and i dropped the hydraulic lifters in.. is this the problem? with removing them and refitting with out doing something or having no oil or something?

yes there is oil in the engine. its at the max on the dip stick.

any ideas, its a nasty nasty rattle so i aint running my engine?

Greg

greg1.4
03-09-07, 08:41 PM
most of you will know but its a 1300 block, 1200 head, 8 valve...

coombsey
03-09-07, 09:14 PM
lifters might be filling up how long you let it run for

mk2novagte
03-09-07, 09:21 PM
if it sounds like a hammer hitting metal and is just one could be main bearing in bottom end if you get me.

greg1.4
03-09-07, 09:34 PM
only let it run for 20 seconds.

greg1.4
03-09-07, 09:38 PM
i took the rocker cover off and all the followers are in there position.. all have thrust pads sitting in nicely. when i was making sure the followers were in and not broken/falling out or anything.. i noticed i could press the followers down.. on the valve side of them.. this might help you guys narrow it down a bit.

cheers

Greg

Adam
03-09-07, 09:42 PM
Have you had the lifters removed?

If its them, they should quieten down in a few minutes.

Is the cam timing 100% spot on?

greg1.4
03-09-07, 09:47 PM
only had it running 20 seconds as i didnt like the nasty rattle.lol

i will be brave and run it for a few minutes tomorrow and see what happens.

yes the hydralic lifters have been out the head. so will this more than likely be the problem??

Greg

Adam
03-09-07, 09:51 PM
It depends if the lifters drained.

Tbh lifters dont give a nasty tapping, just a light tap tap tap.

greg1.4
03-09-07, 10:02 PM
is it definetly ok to put a 1200 head onto a 1300 block??

greg1.4
03-09-07, 10:04 PM
i just pulled the lifters out.. then pushed them back in the holes again..

thats all i done (there was a small bit of oil in the bottom of the holes)..

Asa-James
03-09-07, 10:08 PM
depending on how long its been sat, the lifters may have drained. i put a new set in mine and drove it for about 1000 miles with two verrry noisey lifters. go bored in the end and shoved the old ones back in. try running it for a bit longer, as thick oil doesent like going in small holes, and see how it goes

Adam
03-09-07, 10:11 PM
I doubt its the lifters then tbh, if they were fine before.

When my 1200 had a very tappy top end, the cam and rockers were scored and worn.

greg1.4
03-09-07, 10:25 PM
mmm..

the cam is not worn/scored..

its a very loud rattly noise. i have had bad tapping noise in my old sr and it was due to a scored cam.. it was nothing compared to this though..

i doubt it will be bottom end.

Nick
03-09-07, 11:34 PM
Is it definetly coming from the Top-end ?

If the bushings in the alternator have given up, they can often make a very similar "rattley" tap ! Whip the Alt belt off and start it :)

greg1.4
04-09-07, 08:11 AM
yep i am pretty sure its top end. i will take the belt off tonight and see but i am pretty sure it aint that..

if it doesnt go away/get quiter in a minute or two or if it gets worse just idling i am going to take the head back off.. i aint risking doing more damage..

greg1.4
04-09-07, 08:24 AM
am i actually gaining anything by putting a 1200 head on.
whats the advantages if any?

i was told it would increase compresion slightly which would make it faster??

a2lt16v
04-09-07, 09:27 AM
probably something in one of the bores that can sound stupidly loud as i found out the other day

Adam
04-09-07, 05:07 PM
am i actually gaining anything by putting a 1200 head on.
whats the advantages if any?

i was told it would increase compresion slightly which would make it faster??
A 1.2 carb engine has a bigger bore than a 1.3, so fitting the 1.2 head may lower the CR, depends what the chamber is like.

Which headgasket did you use?

Are you sure the exhaust manifold gasket aint leaking? As they can sound tappy like a top end, when the gas is escaping past the gasket.

greg1.4
04-09-07, 09:52 PM
problem fixed.. must of just been lifters with no oil in them. as the engine got hoter is got quiter and then it just went away..

all good now. engine running sweet as a nut. really pleased.

Thanks for the help guys.

Greg

Asa-James
07-09-07, 09:11 PM
am i allowed to look well chuffed with myself?