PDA

View Full Version : Aaaargh it wasnt the vacuum thingy!

marko
11-05-02, 03:58 PM
Tried putting a vacuum on the pipe to the second choke opening vacuum thingy (sucked it) and it DOES move, and seems to be letting fuel in.
Why o why does my nova feel crap now, its almost undriveable! I think the air/fuel mixture has gone totally wrong but I dont know why, it just happened in 2nd going round a roundabout...ping...and no power... Still goes but is idling rough and a bit high.
Is it a carb or a timing problem do you think? It goes, idles, but wont go past 3 000rpm or about 60mph!!! Feels like ith has about 20bhp at the moment, help please!

marko
11-05-02, 04:27 PM
Hmmm, Im now thinking it may be the distributor vacuum advance unit that has knackered, do most of your motors run crap if you disconnect the pipe to it? I dosconnected mine and its just the same, no power!

Dicko
11-05-02, 05:04 PM
i doubt it would make that much difference.
there is a plastic piece that opens the 2nd choke, if this has broke the car WILL fell VERY slow. this happend on my 1.3sr!!

if u take off the airbox, shine a light down the carb, u will see 1 hole opening, then when u get so far with the throttle the other shud open, untilk they r both open all the way, if thisi s not happening then thats ur problem.

also had another prob with it, wher i hadto advance the timing by a shitload, it jus went clunk as i was driving, no explanation, and hadto move timing by loads, then it was fine, still not figure that out yet :-/

marko
11-05-02, 05:56 PM
Hmmm, not sure dicko, both chokes ARE opening, i have done it by hand and it still sounds rough. I tried sucking the pipe attached to the vacuum thing and it does open the 2nd choke.
Sound more like the 2nd prob you had, where the timing is totally out. Not down to the vacuum advance breaking???
I think it might be, how did you advance your timing? Did you use a strobe or just trial and error?
Cheers for advice

rgv_stu
11-05-02, 06:39 PM
vacumn advance is for idle
there are little weights in the dizzy which when spinning advance the timing as the vacumn drops away at high revs so it cant be that.
if the second choke stops working it will still rev but be slower in performance
whats ur dizzy cap and rotor arm like??

Doddy
12-05-02, 10:08 AM
Good point about the weights in the dizzy check to see that they are free to move, not unusual for them to stick in one position.

marko
12-05-02, 03:10 PM
Hmm dizzy and rotor look fine, im at a loss, really need to check the timing and get it on a co2 analyser to check the mixture, more money i guess.........:(