PDA

View Full Version : horn!

goldengraham
02-09-07, 01:54 PM
hello hope someone can help me here

my horn doesnt work unless you push the steering wheel in as u press the horn, so i know the horn itself is working, its the contacts that arent obviously, i have taken the steering wheel off but now i dont know what im looking for lol?? is there some sort of contact ring behind the wheel or something else likewise?

its a racing steering wheel with the boss kit thing if that makes a difference, any help appreciated, thanks:thumb:

Shaun_O'Donnell
02-09-07, 02:04 PM
On the plastic shroud of the steering column, there's a brass sprung connection. It could be sitting too far in. Pull it out a little to stretch the spring and see how that goes.

goldengraham
02-09-07, 02:35 PM
right i have tried that still no function of the horn, when i place the wire that runs from the contact pad to the actual horn push on the wheel, onto the brown and white wire i stil dont have no horn, should this complete the circuit and make the horn work? or am i missing something??? is there just the 1 wire that goes to the steering wheel for the horn??

Shaun_O'Donnell
02-09-07, 02:39 PM
Yes, just the one wire and it's positive. The horn is earthed to the streering column. Check you are getting feed to the brass connection on the steering column shroud. If that's fine your problem is probably the gap between the connection on the back of the steering wheel and brass connector.

Shaun_O'Donnell
02-09-07, 02:40 PM
BTW, what type of steering wheel boss is it, and have you tightened the main nut up enough?

Chris Astley
02-09-07, 03:13 PM
You could have the steering column centre out to far, slacken the bolt which holds the column to the steering rack and get someone to press the wheel on further then retighten the column bolt at the bottom.

Chris

goldengraham
02-09-07, 08:42 PM
thank you for the help shaun and chris

finally fixed it, decided to just re-wire it onto a PTM switch placed in the dash, works fine everytime now so i can now pass the MOT lol